Winter blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by LBCatter, Nov 5, 2007.

1. LBCatter

LBCatter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    any suggestions on catching blue throughout the winter. I fish a 77 acre lake i know they will congregate in the deepest holes, where the shad will be but what about creek channels? any tips or suggestions apperciated.
    thanks

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I am no experst by any means, but i think if you stick to those deep holes you should be on them. Trust me when you find them it shouldnt take long.:wink:

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I cant spell either if you didnt notice

4. LBCatter

LBCatter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have noticed that if fish are in the area it takes only 30 to 45 mins to get a hit any longer than that i normally move

5. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    look on the upper end of that lake in the winter when you have good current for trophy size fish. blues love current. it wont be a numbers game but a waiting game for a big one. fish the holes in that area. strong current is a must though. helps put the fish in the holes and makes for easy targets when fishing. dont count out the creek channels/coves either because on my lakes....thats where i catch all my bait in the winter. its just hard to mark the fish in shallow water creek channels on a depth finder at times but they may be there.

6. LBCatter

LBCatter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I know after a rain current is created but how about wind? Its been windy the past few days here and i have trouble with it one casting and two fish. Had a few small runs but nothin big no big deal though still got out to the lake.:big_smile:

7. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    im working on the wind thing. i know it pushes bait to the wind blown side of the lake on windy days but i think the trick to that is fishing wind blown points by anchoring on the back side of them out of the wind. i think the cats are crusing the point searching for food and if you set up on the back side ...once they come around the corner the bait is in their face. i fished a tournamnet last year and found fish in the middle of the day on a wind blown point like im talking about. the point was very muddy from the wind blowning. also in the back of coves is a good place when the wind is blowing hard into them. the bait stacks up in the back and makes for a easy meal at times for the cat. its best when the wind has blown in one direction for a couple of days. drifting is also a good tech. to use on windy days but the winter time bite can be slow if you frift too fast. got to slow it down big time. cats wont chase the baits too much in cold weather. i try to setup where i can drift up onto a point also.

8. LBCatter

LBCatter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    hey thanks alot il put that information to use next windy day. When you drift what kind of rig do you use? i have heard about it but never been very sucsessful when i try.

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    typical santee drift rig. weight and swivel on the main line and then 18"-2 ft leader with a 3" crappie cork on the leader about 6" from the bait. drag the bottom type deal. you can do a search on here and find some pictures. its a good way to cover some ground but like i said in the winter time the big blues dont like to chase the bait. anchoring in the winter may be your best bet in cold water but if thats not working i fall off to drifting and take my chances.

10. LBCatter

LBCatter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    yea i see what you saying i think like u said it probally be a little bit more productive in the warmer months. Today it was cold wet and misserable no fish a couple small takes but thats ok going to go out tomarrow night and see what i can do i am still waiting on my larger cast net so i can catch bait. I have been using crappie recently. I know that bluegills can beat out shad at a certain time but when? any tips on baits other than shad for winter use?

11. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i lean more towards shad in the winter time for blues but white perch can be good also. i never have had too good of luck with bream so i dont use them much. i know some say they work good but they havent for me at least on blues. best take a variety with you on any given day though when you can. i have seen them switch from one night to the next. our lake blues seem to be scattered out in the lake at this time due to low water conditions and no current. current is a major plus in the lakes and most dont run water on the weekends too much without heavy rains so we kind of hurting for good blues action on the yadkin chain at this point in the year. right now we marking plenty of fish in deep water during the day but getting them to feed has been tuff. we see the blues 10-50lbers roliing on top early in the morning but there hasnt been nobody able to catch them when they are in that mode. it will drive you crazy seeing them and not being able to catch them. if anyone knows why they are in that mode i would like to see you post on it.

12. koondawg

koondawg New Member

State:
    texas
    I live in N. Tex, and fish for blue throughout the winter. I use fresh gizzard shad, cut, so both ends have exposed gut, pinned on a 5 ought VM hook. I search out deep hole and put bait on the outside of it. I also fish in shallow flats, 2-5ft of water. This was hard for me, fishing in shallow water, but it has actually paid off better than deep water.
    I went on a recon mission two days ago, for just a brief period of time, marking water, fish for less than 1 hour, had a bite within 10 minutes and caught a blue of 3-4lbs in less than 30, going back to shallow water tomorrow, ahead of storm if I can catch bait early. fishing in 2-6ft of water max.
    koondawg

13. LBCatter

LBCatter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    hey good luck its been tough fishing at my lake this last week no big takers and I just caught some nice shad yesterday but unfortunetly not fishin till tomarrow night so i will freeze most will try to catch some fresh also tho. It amazed me when u said u fish shallow water in the colder months i have never tried it tho let me know how it goes? Tomarrow im going to fish in about 15 to 20 ft hopping to catch that 80# fish, but 35 is my pb so anything in double digits is fine with me.

14. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    im with koondawg on the shallow water its hard to do but i been beat fishing tour. several times from guys fishing shallow water. i found some fish last weekend in 10-20ft drifting mid day. channel cats was wearing me out but i landed 7 blues too. biggest was a 27lber that came from shallow water.:eek:oooh: went back on monday and the bite was better in 35-50 ft but no blues. so go figure.:smile2: the night time bite seems to be better in my area for bigger fish right now buts its getting colder and the daytime big bite should be picking up in our lakes soon. right now most of the bait is in the main channel areas of my lakes so i been focusing on the ledges of the main channel to a degree. good to see a lake thread going on blues. the up river bite has been hit or miss for the most part right now here. usually best in the coldest part of the year like jan/feb with current of coarse. i look forward to them days when the ice covers the floor of the boat. seems like great days on the lake for me.:wink: