Winter Blue Catfish Tips needed

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by o'boro cat hunter, Jan 15, 2010.

1. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Need some ideals???? Went to some of my holes that have been producing Quality fish all Fall long Thursday for about 3hrs and not even a sniff.The water temp has dropped 20 degrees since late November.Need some Help.Thanks

http://xtremecatfishing.com/catfish/

2. airdrop

airdrop New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    there was some good articiles in In-fisherman on winter blues. They were fishing for suspended cats and using jigs 1/4 ounce with plastic bodies. Test different depths by waving rod back and forth 4 ft , a horizontal wave. Then go down a few feet and wave again, he was using paddle tail minnow bodies an I guess it sets up a wave that the cats feel and zero in on. You might find the articile on the web site ,it was in the dec/jan 2010 , winter for suspending blue cats. it was a for boaters with depthfinders looking for shad pods and watching for the cats suspending over the pods. hope it helps you.

3. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    When that water tempature drops down the Blues will head for that underwater structure along ledges, trees that are hung on the bottom of the river, look along your outside turns in the river, I also prefer humps that are scattered along the rivereven if they are only a few feet tall, another good spot is the washout area where a creek enters the river, also I like to fish right in front or along side of parked barges mainly on the front side where the current is pushing into the barge and don't forget barge cells they are magnets for baitfish and the blues will follow them use both big and small baits I have caught a lot of fish on a cluster of three or four Shad only 2-3 inches long all impaled on a hook..........Doc

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  4. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Skips or shad????Thanks for the great advice.

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Last few times out water in the James River was 33 degrees frigid and I my friends and I caught loads of fish on mud flats in 4-6 feet of water. Not talking about jrs either. Fish from 30-60 pounds and lots of them.

6. skipjacks

skipjacks New Member

State:
    arkansas
    As a new guy to catfishing in winter, Try deep holes or sunny side of riprap dropoffs. Hope you good luck and stay warm.

7. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Shad if shad is the primary baitfish in the lake and skipjack if they are the primary bait fish. You can still use the other but if a fish is used to a certain baitfish then that is what he is gonna be looking for.

8. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    My buddies and I have been catching lots and lots of 30 pound plus Bluecats in 8 feet of less of water this winter in the James River. Two weeks I got on nine at one spot in less than 4 feet of water. It was a big mud flat near some deeper 12 foot water. Water temp was 33 degrees when I showed up and a balmy 35 when I left. Don't necessarily think deep when the water's cold. They bite a lot gentler also. No huge slamming the rod down , rod holder groaning hits. Gentle like 2-4 pound nibblers. Not much of a fight either when the water is near freezing. Went last Saturday. Water was up to 41 and the cats are back to there old surly selves. Slamming the rods and fighting like devils. Found them near wood structure in 22 feet.

9. FlatheadDreaming

FlatheadDreaming New Member

State:
    Grain Valley
    We shot a little video and this spot that we are fishing is about 30ft deep. We are setting in the river channelright on the ledge. The rods on the right side of the boat are in the shallow water and the ones on the left are in the channel. Fish get picky in the winter time at times. This trip they would only bite on shad heads, Nothing Else!! Try different cuts, and try different sizes. and dont be scared of the shallow water especially if it has a steep drop off into a channel or a nice warm sunny winter day! If the water is cold enough the fish should be stacked up like wood along the channel ledges also. I wont fish a spot unless I see that on the fish finder. We have a few videos of winter catfishing, dont have many winter tips but lots of action! You can check out all of our videos from this last week on youtube. My user name is MrCatfishMorris.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24VUcdkIOC8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTFEcnnXmV8