Winter Blue Catfish - Fishing Below Ohio River Dams from the river bank

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Cattoo, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i have a question. i fish for blue cats below a dam on the ohio river and fish from the bank mostly. i do really well in the spring and the fall and usually quit fishing there in december. i have tried fishing there later but havent done any good. i know that blues will retire to deep holes of water and chase shad in the winter. the hole i fish is somewhere between 70 and 80 feet deep. thats pretty deep. would there not be cats there year round? also i know they will follow schools of baitfish. i catch shad all winter long at a small tailwater of a local lake. now if shad stack up below this smaller dam, would they also do the same in a larger body of water? i just wonder if i shouldnt try it some more to see if they are there. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    is anybody out there?

3. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Just a suggestion but in the winter time I use mainly Skipjacks, during the spring I use a combination of Shad and Skips and during the summer and into fall mainly Shad, Skipjacks will leach out more oils during the winter plus the blood likes to stay together more than the blood of a shad, if I can get fresh skips all the better but I always have the freezer stocked for winter Blue cattin...........Doc

4. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Maybe I shouldn't reply since I don't really have much tailrace experience, but here goes... as I understand it (from infisherman and reading) most of the population of cats move upstream to the dam to feed in early spring and late fall(pre-winter). If I were to be forced to speculate, your lower catch ratio is only due to lower numbers of fish in the tailrace in the mid-winter months.

Remember my opinion is worth the same price you paid to read it.

5. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    thanks. i yeah i know ,from the same sources , that they will move down stream but it is also known that they find deep holes to stay in. your not gonna find much deeper water in the river than the hole i fish is my point. would these fish not just hang out there? also, i am just the opposite in bait selection. i do better with shad in cooler water and skipjack in the warmer months.

6. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Bad3087, I think that there will still be blues and other cats in that hole in the winter, but the bite will be a lot slower. This will mean you will have to spend hours to catch what it took you to catch in an hour before. Good luck, Vern

7. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Bad3087, Blues don't like to fight the current when the water temp gets down into the 40's. You will find them in deep holes and behind structure, but they will be out of the current on down stream from the dams.

8. sbursik

sbursik New Member

State:
    McKinney Texas
    How well do skipjack freeze? They are really hard to get in my area. I was wondering if they freeze better than shad.

Scott

9. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    out of my frozen shad an skips i think i do better with the skips. but i also use a vacume sealer. but both are good.

10. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    skips freeze ok but will get mushy quick so i like to not thaw them all the way . leave them partialy frozen and cut them up. shad freeze alot better. well the big ones do anyway.

11. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    dont stop fishin in the winter, ive had great success!

12. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i NEVER stop fishing! i just usually switch locations and species.

13. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    one thing you might try is fishing higher up in the water column. if the hole is 80 some odd feet deep i can guarantee the shad schools are gonna be in the middle levels of the water column and the blues in or below that. if you have a boat its alot easier to drift through the area but like me its figure it from the bank or go home. i use some riduculous long leaders but thats at 40 foot deep at best and that puts me at 20 to 30 feet deep. that makes for some good hits when a blue doesnt have a clue whats happening. (set your drags right or watch your pole break). another method is to toss the shad with just a little bit of weight on it and let it slowly drift down to the bottom. walk the bank repeating the process and your bound to put the bait right in front of them. sorta like lure fishing or striper fishing i suppose. and last but not least a well placed slipbobber can be a great method.