Winter BLOW Report - 52 pound Blue Catfish!

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by JPritch, Nov 26, 2008.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Took a couple days off work to come down and fish and unwind. The trip got off to a terrible start with tough bait, high winds, and no fish. I also lost my gill net. I set it on a flat, and drifted downriver as I setup my poles. When I came back to get it, it was gone. I trolled some rods behind my boat trying to snag it for about an hour, but no luck. JWFish (Jerry) was kind enough to get me extra bait in the mornings.

With the high winds nearly every day, it took away alot of spots I normally fish. It was a continuous game of hide-and-seek with the wind. Tuesday was so windy, I didn't fish at all and went shopping instead at BPS, Greentops, and Boaters World.

Got back on the river this morning (Wed) armed with a dozen fresh cutters and it was ON! I started off in a new hole with a 21, then a 26, then one of my rods slowly bent over and the fish was running sideways. So I had to weave my pole over and under the other poles and got him to the side of the boat. After a great fight consisting of some drag peeling runs and alot of hooting and hollering on my part, I boated a new PB bluecat of 52 lbs!

I hit a few more spots throughout the day, and managed two more 40 lber’s and a 20.

I also had the privilege of fighting a fish today for nearly 30 minutes before it broke me off on the structure it was holding in. I'm still kind of sick about it. It would have easily beat the 52.

Final tally for the trip: 52,40,40,30,30,26,22,21,20,14,13,8,5,3,3

Just when you think the James has you beaten and gonna send you home with your tail between your legs, it has a way of spoiling you so you just HAVE to come back again soon. I had a great trip and can’t wait to do it again.

Pic1 is my 52#. Pic2 is my first 40# and Pic3 is my second 40#.

Attached Files:

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Attached are pics of my two 30 lbers:

Attached Files:

3. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    Congrats on your PB. Thanks for the story and the pics. Great job.

4. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Looks like you got alot of monsters. Yeah it was super windy, I was fishing from the bank last friday and I didn't see a boat in sight. I'm heading out again today to the Wilcox wharf, not sure if I'll catch a monster but I'm going to have fun....

5. jwfish

jwfish New Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    Great job Josh glad to see it came togather for you on your last day.Josh and me both had gillnet problems,he lost his and I put 8 foot of mine around my prop of the boat and had to cut it out.That is a nice piture of your new PB.Be back in march see ya then.

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Great trip Josh. Glad you got on them. Sorry that you lost your net. If you want call Memphis net for a new gill net. I think they are a little more expensive than some but like the energizer battery bunny,,,,,they last and last. Make sure you get one with lead wieghs on the bottom and corks on the top line. Bottom line goes down like a rock and the top floats wiggle around when shad are in the net. They will make the net out of whatever pound test Mono you ask for. I think mine is 14 pound test if its not 20 pound test. Big fish can't tear it up. I have set it close to 100 times in three years and its still working fine with zero holes. 800 674-7638. A 100 foot net with shipping is around $125. I use window wieghts at each end and orange crab pot bouys at each end.

7. 66TBONE

66TBONE New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Nice job! keep the good reports coming! I know how the james can leave ya baffled at the great conditions and bad. Then outta the blue BAM! It's happy time on the water! Fish on! Tight lines all!

8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Nice job man! Way to go on the PB. That river looks like it sure would spoil you:wink:

9. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Congrats on the PB and thanks for sharin your story and pics.

10. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
    WTG Josh,,
    I heard about your trip.( talked to Mike on thur and fri)
    You had a better trip than us.We went home with our tails tucked:confused2:
    mikeb

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Joshua thanks for sharing your fishing trip and pics. Congrats on the new PB. Enjoyed.