Winter bilge question......

Discussion in 'Boating' started by USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT-(2), Dec 24, 2009.

1. Anybody have a problem with bilge's getting frozen? I take the pump off the mount while it is on the trailer to keep from freezing. Anybody deal with this issue? Any tips?

2. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    Na I think if it is frooze, ones you put the boat in the lake or river it will unfreeze.. If that is a word.. lol :confused2: oh I'am gonna unfreeze me some steak..

3. pennsyvinn

pennsyvinn Member

State:
    PA
    I don't know if this would work?What if you got some potable RV antifreeze(the pink stuff they use to winterize cabins & campers)If it would be safe for supply lines,it should be safe for the enviroment.I never bought any myself,so I don't know what it costs.I think if you run some through your pump, end of the trip,you'll be just fine:wink:Or you could put quick disconnects on the wiring & keep the pump in the truck.Is that what you meant by,"I take the pump off the mount"?

4. I have been keeping the pump disconnected from yhe mounting base and laying it up high. If I need to use it, I just sit it down in the bilge area by hand and pump any water out. It has been fine. If I leave it in the mounting base, then it freezes up sitting out of the water.

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Yup, they freeze and bust if you leave them in the bases. Cracking around the impellor allowing water to get to the electric motor and bushing, that will rust.

I'm sure there will be people out there that have never had a problem. I wish we were all that lucky. NPT keep on doin' it your way.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  6. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    i keep a spare bucket in the boat in case my bilge bucket breaks. whats this "pump" thing you speak of? :wink:

7. Smokin

Smokin New Member

State:
    Ca
    Fix the leaks and you wont need a bilge pump :wink::wink:
    Never had a problem with freezing but that is becasue I live in cali. SO I would think your doing the right thing.

8. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    John , just put the drain plug in.:cool2:

9. Yeah, I'm getting there buddy, she's got a few battle scars, haha.:roll_eyes:

10. I got a plug for yer pie hole.:eek:oooh::smile2::wink:

11. Bob is my freind.:roll_eyes:

And he knows his stuff about boats!:angry::tounge_out::wink: