Winter Bank Fishing

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by jdmert, Jan 10, 2008.

1. jdmert

jdmert New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have been wondering for awhile is it possible to catfish or very many in the winter fishing from the bank. I have been bank fishing for years mostly summer evenings and nights. I do a lot of fishing at some Cons. Lakes and some rivers when it allows. Most of the time it is for channels in the Cons. lakes. So my question would be can you successfully catch channel cats in the winter? If so what baits would be good? I normaly fish with stink baits and worms but this might not work in cooler weather. Any info on whether it would even be worth my time to try and do some bank fishing would be greatly appreciated! Location Central Missouri!!!!!!!

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Don't really see why you can't (if you can find a lake not froze over).Myself I think I'd use the good ol worm,Chicken Livers or Shrimp which I use a lot of .And Channels like it. Your right, Stink Bait doesn't work to well during winter months gets to stiff.Any time you have a chance to get out and try doing some fishing in the winter isn't a waste of time.Just enjoy the nice weather when you can get out weather you catch fish or not.LEAST YOUR OUT OF THE HOUSE!! Enjoy and Have Fun!!

3. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I AGREE WITH JOHN ON THE BAITS, ANOTHER THING YOU CAN TRY IF THERE IS A LITTLE "FISHING MONEY" LEFT, MOST OUTDOOR STORES CARRY HAND HELD DEPTH/ FISH FINDERS THAT RUN OFF BATTERIES, I THINK THAT WOULD DO THE JOB ON FINDING DEEPER WINTERING HONEY HOLES.

GOOD LUCK

4. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I fish alot from the bank on the ohio river. Just move up and down river until i find fish. I will also fish spots that i fish from the boat if they are close enough to cast into from the bank.

5. strohcephus

strohcephus New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    My ace in the hole in winter is I live 5 miles from a coal fired power plant, which in turn has a "cooling pond". I am able to fish open water all winter if the air temp allows, in 70-80 degree water. You might check around and see if you may have something like that in your area. Just a thought....

6. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "I have been wondering for awhile is it possible to catfish or very many in the winter fishing from the bank."

Well sure! Up this way the action slows quite a bit and of course it can be chilly (well down right freaking freezing sometimes) But a good warm fire and a nice warm drink helps with that.

The lack of recreational boaters is nice too.

7. dookiechrist

dookiechrist New Member

State:
    utah
    i too am on a quest catch channel in winter however i'm goin' through the ice... i have been doing alot of reading on the subject, and what i have found is that they do tend to migrate for the most part. they try to find warmer water, DEEPER water , and slow moving water. reservoirs , inlets to larger rivers tend to have deeper holes, the back side of wing dams, etc. if you can find this with additional cover ( fallen timber and the like ) you'll probably be sittin good. if youre not catchin fish...MOVE.. try your traditional baits but try some fresh cut bait as well.. i found a site that explained it all alot better but forget what was, just do what i do...GOOGLE. you might find it your state web site alot of the studies were done in missouri.i'll try to find it again for you , then figure out how to paste the link.....oh and btw... it's ALWAYS worth trying!!! hope this helps.

8. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    yeah you can catch them now i used to fish bagnell in the winter if the weather wasn't bad. just look for the deepest holes in the water you want to fish. cutbait is the best to use just remember the water is cold so use smaller baits and depending on the water temp you may have to put in a lot of time. my buddy marked a big school of cats at the base of the dam the water temp was 38 degrees we started throwing bait friday but didn't get a fish until sunday morning by then we had "scored" a couple of winter killed shad, and cut them into small chunks when we did get a taker it was a very soft hit and it only shook its head a couple of times during the fight. good luck and like DANZIG said a warm fire and some warm food and drink will make it more bearable.

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I caught a nice channelcat tuesday night( 8th) on a skipjack head at 2:00am. I didn't weigh it but it was a good one.:crazy:

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    most of my fishing is from the bank. it gets cold at night, just remember don't step where you threw the castnet, it will be ice. we catch blues and channels on cut shad in 30-40 foot of water. they hit just like any other time, pick it up and run. remember that bait clicker and it's a good idea to still secure your rods. i have had a fish hit and move the rod even though the clicker was on, turn the handle and then engage the reel. if i wasn't right there i would have lost my gear! i fugure you should have some tailraces in your area right? those might be better choices this time of year. i would use cut shad right now and cut carp when it starts warming up. this time of year most casts won't pass up a meal. and right on with the smaller baits! good luck.

11. dookiechrist

dookiechrist New Member

State:
    utah
  12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Mert, I caught my first channel of the year Jan 9th, under a lowhead dam on the river. The hands down best bait in the winter is cut shad or whole small ones, like 3 to 5 two inchers on a hook. This cold weather kills many young of the year shad. Before I ever got a net I used to walk along the bank and pick up the small ones that were laying around. You may have to fish all day or a couple days like stated above, They just aren't hitting all day. You have to be fishing the 1 to 2 hours they are feeding. I think its easier to find them on a river, especially under a dam. If you hit a lake, look for areas that dead shad are abundant, if its near deeper water, channels will move up to feed on warmer days.

13. Laker2

Laker2 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Power plant lakes!!!!!! I am blessed with three of these jewels within 60 miles of my home. All three are loaded with channels and if the plant is online water temp is usually in the 60 to 70 degree range. Very good fishing even on the coldest winter day!

14. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    This is a question that people ask allot,I think you all have said all that needs to be said.good thread:big_smile:

15. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Mert,

I fish the California Delta (a river) "alot:0a14:" & I'm a Stink-Bait user myself, been using the stuff for years now "with good success to", but only in the months when the water is above 60 deg. the Stink Bait is not a good bait to use in the winter months because it will be to stiff & the scent trail will not carry + there's the fact that the fish are not to active in the colder water so they will not go to far to get a meal with all of the dead Shad in the water that was killed off by the cold. You may want to try some "Shad" (Dead or Live).
    :wink:
    :0a26:

Stay Warm & Good Luck out there Buddy, :cross:
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship::0a23:
    Bert & "Deltalover"

16. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    Cut bait or small live offerings in cold water. I have fished from the bank during the winter, for many years in the Ohio river. The channel catfish hit pretty good. Most people don't even want to go out in this stuff. I have even fished for them in a snow storm. A trick that a friend of mine uses, is to burn a few briquet's of Matchlight charcoal in a 3lb. coffee can. You can keep your hands pretty warm over top of this. Punch a few holes in the sides, near the bottom, for airflow.

17. Laker2

Laker2 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey Weezy- I do that too- REALLY helps on a cold day!!!!

18. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I posted this over in the bluecat section, but found ,,This is a great spot for this post too.

19. JoshFisher

JoshFisher New Member

State:
    Tinker AFB, Oklahoma
    hell ya u can haha, the funny thing about this is that i was wondering the same... couple days back i was fishing with my cousin for rainbows in a small lake and he put a worm on and ended up pullin in a cat.... haha so at that point i went home made up some garlic dough bait and went back the next day and it was a smash, worked perfectly....

the temp was about 45 degrees high and got down to high 20's and i was still catchin um...