Winter Bait?

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by bnt55, Oct 31, 2008.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Now that cool/cold weather is upon us, where do you usually go to catch shad on the Ohio? Is there certain areas that will hold them in the fall and winter, I went yesterday and was unable to find any in the "usual" spots. I do have access to a warm water discharge in the Ohio River, however I am not sure if the water temps have gotten low enough for fish to congregate there yet? Just wondering ahead of time, I am in the middle of bowhunting and havent really thought about fishing yet, it always seems to amaze me how cool weather will get the mind thinking about different hobbies ie. cool weather= bowhunting and women, cold weather= duck hunting and women, warm weather= catfishing and women.:cool2:

2. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    :smile2: lol They should still be in the creeks.I don't think the water temperature has dropped to the point they are heading to the discharges yet but it's been a wacky year to say the least.

3. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Any dams up your way ?

4. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I was at Greenup L/D yesterday with EKYHunter and Kyjake. Where we usually catch skipjack and zip we caught 3 or 4 maybe a half a dozen caught while we were there. No one was catching any that I seen.

5. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    did you get any nest you know its hard to catch skippies and pick birds at same time:roll_eyes::embarassed::wink:

6. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    I was out Sunday....the water temp on the Ohio is still around 60. Made my way back the Licking, bout a mile before the Wilder ramp. The water was down around 52 degrees their. Massive schools of 4-6 inch shad around sunset. Not as much action on top the water as in the summer, but you could easily see the schools, visibly and on the depth finder.

7. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Sunday was catching small skippies on the waterfront in Louisville.Had on big one.