Winter bait for channel catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Nov 28, 2007.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i use the premo for channels and have good luck on it but in the winter do the baits change for channels.

i was thinking about trying some small bluegills with the tail cut off or catching a bigger gill for cut bait (with gut pocket)

shad only comes ( i can catch it :roll_eyes:) in the winter and herd it is a pretty good cut bait but i dono

ill probably stick with premo for now :eek:oooh:

2. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i know during winter time, i don't hardly catch any cats on stink bait, but do during summer time. other than that, stick with cut bait, chicken liver, cut anchovies, and yes, hot dogs. (think ones with cheese seem to work better). also, try to fish deeper holes and slow down.
    by yuma, we don't have any deeper holes to speak of, but bites are lighter, takes longer, so have to sloooow down and more patience.
    as for live shad, caught a lot of channels from boat on them. plus stripers and bass.
    gary

3. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Cooler water temps and higher Oxygen levels allow those cats trying to conserve energy in winter slow down mode to hang out in slack water more so than summer .
    I like to cast a wad of crawlers to quiet water with just enough weight to get it to "settle" to the bottom.
    If your familuar with a Jig and Pig presentation ,(a little lift and a long pause ) it will put the Bait on ole wiskers's nose and make it easy for him to eat just because its there.

Had some good days doing that with fingers almost to cold to feel a bite.

Good luck and get after them.

4. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Cut gills are definetly a great channel cat bait for the winter.. I have had luck using their heads only.. Use a khale hook right through the eye socket.

Sometimes a flathead will like this as well.

5. DoubleJ007

DoubleJ007 New Member

I always have alot of good luck with crawlers and I also caught a channel 2 weeks ago off a blue gill head. Where was the flat eeeerrrrrrrrrrr! I am going out to Roosevelt this Friday as long as the weather permits. I'll give an update when I get back.

Good Luck To All This Weekend.:cool2:

6. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Stay warm and dry, the weather should be real nasty.
    ~A

7. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California

Good luck to you Andy..... let us know how you do.....

bayrunner ray

8. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    You guys better bundle up if you are going this weekend, Roosie is likely to bare her evil side this weekend. But if you make it, you may have the lake to yourself.

Myself, I took Ol' CLEATUS down to Bass Pro and am having two pages of upgrades, repairs, maintinance, and replacements done on her. I have a broke arm so no fishing, so mine as well prepare for the late winter/early spring rush!:eek:oooh: CLEATUS will be a mean machine when she gets back!!

Stay safe and warm if you go!! God speed:wink: