Wingdam fishing

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catfishing4life, May 31, 2006.

1. catfishing4life

catfishing4life New Member

State:
    missouri
    I need some advice on fishing wingdams. I have fished them in the past on a couple of occasions and caught a few nice sized fish but I need to know the specifics on where to locate myself on the dam. Do I fish the slack water above the dam or below the dam. Please help.

2. cross_their_eyes

cross_their_eyes New Member

State:
    Show Me State
    Wingdams can be tricky. I fish them on the Missouri alot. Their are two places I like to fish, mid river holes with current and wingdams. If your on the damn don't fish the upside. Big time snags; the current brings your bait back to you. However; fishing from a boat in front of the dam works well. Behind the dam there is usually a scour hole off of the tip; at times you can pick up Blues and Flatheads there. Also, behind the dam on the down current side, there is usually a flat or hump that forms (usually out at a 45 degree angle from the tip to the shore). The Blues and Flats will come up on them at night to feed. Use fresh shad or cut carp. When the waters up, fishing behind the dyke does better for me and likewise; in front of the dam when the waters lower. Hope this helps.

There are many ways to fish those dykes (they are not created equal) Most don't hold alot fish; some will. You'll just have to hunt for the right one.

3. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    you can fish both sides and the hole in front of it. you can anchor in the current above the dyke off the tip of it and fish the upstream lip of the scour, thats good during the day usually. anchor behind the dike and fish the slack water and some of the shallower areas at night flatheads like the slack water and the blues will cruise in through there at night too. also on the up stream side of the dyke there is a scour hole wher it meets the bank this is a good place to. also keep an eye out for the ones with a notch or a gap in them ,these are some of my favorites, the notch causes
    a deep scour right below it and have produced some good fish for me lately.

good luck