Wing dikes vs flats

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA RIVERS TALK' started by camochris2, Aug 20, 2007.

1. camochris2

camochris2 New Member

State:
    nebraska city nebraska
    which one of these do you guys think is better for blues and what do you guys look for whene you fish these spots any info would be great

2. cat_hounds

cat_hounds New Member

State:
    nebraska
    try a little bit of both wing dike would be my 1st coice i have some real good ones down by the power plant and they are real deep with alot of cover on the bottom also look for humps the fish will also hang out there sometimes when i fish wing dikes i will anchor out in front of it out of the hole

+
    |
    |
    the+ is my boat the| is the dike you might be fishing some swift current but it works good thats where we have caught alot of or big fish try what works the best for you

3. catfeveriowa

catfeveriowa New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs Iowa
    Joe nice way of giving us info !!! Was wondering how much weight your using and if your right down in the hole or off to the edge? Either way very fast current.

4. cat_hounds

cat_hounds New Member

State:
    nebraska
    i just depend on where i fish

5. camochris2

camochris2 New Member

State:
    nebraska city nebraska
    so how are you achoring your boat right off the tip or up from it on the flat and letting your boat fall back

6. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Billy D. i fish a couple of them spots wher 8 ounces won't even touch bottom. the more current the better, structure to go with that current is prime. throw in some depth at least 27 foot deep and you might have a hell of a hole.

7. catfeveriowa

catfeveriowa New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs Iowa
    Ya Zach i've tried with 8 oz also , like you say wont even hit bottom. Thats why I was asking so I can go buy bigger lead, that 10, 12 oz gets alittle pricey. Didnt want to buy 10 oz if Iam going to need 12 oz. Thanks for responding tho.

8. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    with the price of lead going up because of the war i think i'm gonna finally invest in a melter and molds. biggest mold i can find is 10oz though.

9. catfeveriowa

catfeveriowa New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs Iowa
    Hey Mazdabob, that was another reason I was asking about how much weight to get to bottom in fast current because I want to buy my own molds also. If you go to this site they sale 8, 10, 12 oz and 16, 20, 24 oz molds doesn't say how much tho. http://www.shawncollinscustoms.com Need to give Darryl1 credit for giving us this site.

10. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    hey zach if you want some good 8 oz weights let me know:wink:

11. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    Great link, I'll have to look into that when winter rolls around and I start pouring for next year.

12. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    flatheadhunter, i'll take the biggest of whatever you got. hopefully this weekend we can meet up and i'll give you that lead.

13. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
  14. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    sounds good, that will definately work

15. kingneck76

kingneck76 New Member

State:
    Jeff City MO
    Dont know if yall have seen it, but I was out at bass pro, and they have a 1# cod weight. Didnt think to look at the price. Its square with one end kinda rounded off. That might get you down there zack.

16. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i might try it, i need to get down their and get me some 12's atleast.