Wing dike question - Why do you fish above them?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Fry Guy, May 17, 2006.

1. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I know there are several posts about this but just wanted some clarification. When fishing a wing dike I know allot of people say fish above it. Why is this? Do you have better luck on the upstream side? The ones we fish are shallower on the up river side. Do you also have good luck on the down river side like near the end where the water comes around it and creates a deep hole. In short just wanted to know the most productive place to fish these and why. Thanks.

2. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    either side of the dykes can be productive. one example, if the upstream side is a shallow flat, that would probably good at night for the feeding roamers, while the holes on the downstream side might be a better option for daytime fishing. mostly depends on your ambient and water conditions.
    sometimes the up stream side will produce and sometime the downstream side, and sometime both. best thing to do is fish all the way around the dykes and see how the fish react.

3. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    About how far away from the wing dike should I cast to be fishing in the current roll?

4. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A lot of your questions including a reverse current situation are being covered over in the Missouri/Missouri Lakes/ Locating Blue Catfish tread.

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi BEN. I fish the Missouri river up river in Iowa between Platsmouth Neb. and Onawa Iowa.I fish alot of wing dikes also, do you fish from a boat? If you do have electronics(sonar)? IF you do run your boat on the outside (current side) and watch for fish holding at the head of the scour hole in the middle and if there is any structure present. also check in frount of the wing dike. durning the day the flats and blues will usualy be in the holes at night and early in the morning the will leave the hole and move to the flats some times as shallow as a copple feet deep to feed and catch bait fish. now this is where electronics comes in as not all wing dikes hold fish, dont waste your time on a wing dike that dosen"t have any fish there and I only fish a wing dike 1/2 hour or so if I dont get bit.Also some wing dikes have a slot cut in them about in the middle and have logs and trees stuck in them creating anouther scour hole behind the wing dike check this with your sonar to.I use live bait shad bluegill, and fresh cut bait of the same place your bait at the place that you marked fish at. there is a man named DEERHUNTER on the sight who is a B.O.C. staff member and he knows so much more than I I have learned so much from reading his posts he knows what he talking about I"m sure if you ask him he will help. Good luck and Good fishing. Bigcatman0816.

6. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Thanks for the info John. The only problem I face is that I don't have a boat. I would love to move to more wing dikes but it is kind of a pain to move all my stuff without a boat. I guess I'll just try fishing the flats at night and the scour holes later on.

7. reel pleasure

reel pleasure New Member

State:
    New jersey
    Don't fforget to fish right infront of it.The water rushing over creates a backcurrent and fish will hold in there.
    Also downstream,i like to fish the edge of the current.I try to get the bait just out of the strong current and on the outer edge of some slack water.I found if fish are downstrream that is usually where they are.