Wing Dams and Blue Catfish?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by bj78, Mar 6, 2006.

1. bj78

bj78 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I am going to try my luck in the Arkansas River and wondered what was the best way to fish wingdams. Where to put the boat? where the fish hold, where to place the baits, and any terminal tackle and rigging suggestions. Thanks!!

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I like fishing the scour holes downstream off the ends of the dikes, but I've heard of people fishing the slack water behind and above the dikes. Don't neglect to look for holes and big rocks along riprapped banks, too.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'm partial to the slack area on the sides of the dike. What side I fish is determined by the tide. A simple carolina rig always works for me.

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I like to fish the dyke tips along the seam that forms from the water rushing around the dyke tips. I like to use a Carolina Rig as well. 2-4 ounces of weight, a bead to protect the knot, 80 pound leader, and a 6-9 gamagatsu or Kahle hook.

5. Steve W

Steve W New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I fish the lower Arkansas river usually between lock and dam #4 and #5.
    The wing dams have a pole and an eddy on the down stream side. You can go from wing dam to wing dam looking for bait fish, or like I do, fish the inside curl of the eddy with chucks of shade. Also on most of the dams on the Arkansas River they open some gates more than others. This creates a channel below the most frequently used gates. I like to fish where the channel flattens out onto a sand bar. If you get up close to the dam there are usually a lot of snags on the rocks they put there to prevent scour. Another good place is to fish the upstrem side of the lock. There is usually a dredged out pool just before you go into the lock. Most of the pools are 400 plus feet long and 30 t0 40 feet deep to accommadate the barges.The pools can be very active fishing when they flood the lock because the water gets stirred up as water is taken from the pool and pumped into the lock

6. cross_their_eyes

cross_their_eyes New Member

State:
    Show Me State
    If your fishing the big rivers like I do, concentrate behind the wing dams, usually near the banks. I've uploaded a pic to show you where the deepest spots normally are that I like to consintrate on. The water around the dikes and sand bars are about 2 to 15 feet deep. The channel is around 20-30' and moving quick (this is the mighty Missouri). The hole I drew a line to is about 25/30' deep. Not many of your dikes have these features but some will, just have to hunt for them. Plus, your bait should be something natural to the area; Shad, Carp, Skippies, something out of the river. Learn to use a throw net well.

Good luck,

Cross_their_eyes

Attached Files:

7. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    I fish just behind the wing dam where the hole slopes up.

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I like to fish above the dyke in the summer time. The idea behind this is the blues leave the holes at night and swim up river feeding on the flats. I try and fish from 2'-12' of water. Mostly using carolina rigs but sometimes 3 ways rigged with 8/0 circles. When the heat is on it's all about using carp for bait.

9. cross_their_eyes

State:
    Show Me State
    Crazy, your right. Cut carp work well in the summer. Easy to get too! I catch alot of BIG shad (have to really hunt for them tho) Cut off the tail and hook'em through the eyes. 3/4 to 1 pounders are good size. Fresh is best but frozen will work.

10. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    This is all good information, I'm trying to broden my skill on fishing the Dykes. What spots on the Mo do you look for when catching bait.

11. cross_their_eyes

State:
    Show Me State
    I like to move alot. I'll throw several times behind the wing dams in the slack water. I don't stay long. I move often and throw my net at different depths until I find them. Big ones are great but I've baited the hook with 3 or 4 smaller ones on the same hook. Bring a cooler with ice and throw the bait right in there until your ready to use them. A few days ago I caught several one pound shad in the warm water outlet of a water plant on the missouri. Waters coming up three feet over the weekend. Get out there and fish!

12. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Another way I learned to keep shad fresher on ice. Is to put a smaller cooler inside the bigger one and pack the ice around the smaller one. Sticking the shad in the smaller one. This keeps the water from the ice melt off of your fresh bait.

13. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I'll give it a try. I need some fresh bait.

14. buckie02

buckie02 Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I like to use skipjacks and they freeze good also.

15. CATDADDY78

CATDADDY78 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    im using everything for bait but im fishing on bottom. is that bad right now or how do i suspend my bait in the river?