wing damns, eddys

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by stringbean, Feb 8, 2009.

1. stringbean

stringbean New Member

State:
    va
    could anyone explain to me a little better about what wing damns and eddys are

2. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    hi string bean,
    A wing dam ( so every one will know) is a device installed in the river to prevent the main channel from becoming silted up.
    The wing dams in the James River are very old and were built by installing a line of posts into the floor of the river from the bank out into the river 50 to 100'.
    Then they come back and dump large stones against the poles and form a solid wall of rock which forces the whole flow of the river into a smaller channel, in the process its speeds up the flow of the riverand sweeps out the silt to keep the channel open.
    The water sweeping around the stone wall creates a whirlpool or eddie at the end of the wall .
    The eddie wears out a swirl hole in the floor of the river and the catfish will use this feature to ambush bait off the ends of the wing dam

3. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for that great explanation, Bruce. I was thinking of some ornery response, typical of a kayaker.

You know...you're floating a new river and haven't read the map (if there is one). You turn around and look downriver and you see that glassy sheen...something funny about the way the river just ends. No, you can't tell as well from the river as the treeline, or is it the river?

Next thing you know...Oh no! (expletives deleted)

The art is to look cool when you end up in the eddy. Fish a while to celebrate. You survived another wing dam adventure.

4. stringbean

stringbean New Member

State:
    va
    ia s dyke the same thing as a wing damn and is there any on the lower james because i havent seen any or just have not found none being young and new to the game