Winfield locks

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by DANZIG, Jan 1, 2010.

1. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I started out there this morning,,, That is what they did all that work for????
    I mean, it is a nice sidewalk and all, but it might be nicer to have it somewhere near the water.
    I was not impressed.

Might be nicer in warm weather but I quickly tired of playing mountain goat in the cold and headed for RC Byrd.

The walkway by the generator was mostly under water so I ended up by the 2 sycamore trees, no hits, no runs, all errors.

2. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    sorry to hear about your trip, ive never fished up there, but i have thought about it. i did some work up in hurrican and some of the guys were telling me i should try it out.

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Trip got better after I left Winfield!! :big_smile:

I know folks catch fish there but the access,, especially after all time they spent working on it, leaves much to be desired IMO.

Seemed like a great place to break a leg even at the best of the new part(s)

RC Bryd (Ohio side)used to be like that except the stone was quite a bit more settled. (much better access now)
    The WV side of RC is steep, rocky and much higher BUT,, there are concrete walk ways and concrete drains that get ya down to the water with much less hazzard. They should have followed that model.

4. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i hear ya, when carrying a bunch of gear scaling rocks and what not can really be dangerous and deter you from a good fishing spot. i know i have fished in some places that one slip and your not stopping till you hit the bottom or the water.

5. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "one slip and your not stopping till you hit the bottom or the water."

LOL!! I did that once at Beech Fork of all places,, in the winter!

Lost my finger prints to the sandstone trying to grab a hand hold that was not there,, I was sliding down and going under for sure,, then hit a small ledge 'bout 6 inches under the water.

Saved! Well, I was AFTER my buddies got done laughing!! They seemed to really enjoy the show! :smile2::smile2::smile2:

6. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i got to say i would have laughed also once i saw you were alright. hahaha hell im laughing now...hahaha

we take that trip down to fly fish this spring, and there is one part of the fishermans trail you will have to watch you step because you can def make it a ways before hitting a flat spot. there are a few places along the cranberry you cant get to unless you go over way down stream and work up or you repel over with a rope and harness haha...

7. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 New Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    Danzig, I agree with you. I fish at Winfield alot and it was alot of money thrown away for nothing. Its suppose to be handicap access, yea right. They cant fish from what they built and some probally cant get back up the ramp. Well whats done is done and I and others mines well just get use to it. I will say that they done a fine LOOKING JOB but not good for access.