Winfield Lock and Dam #26

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by dhogue, Feb 3, 2007.

1. dhogue

dhogue Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Hello everyone, I'm changing my fishing location this year, usually fished the down town area near the gate way Arch, up to chain of rocks old bridge near Hwy 270 which produce good finshig in this area. I want to know how is the finshing up by Dam 26 Winfield area, all the way down to Grafton.

2. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Sorry Devlyn, I can't help you with that information. I'm from KCMO and have never fished that area. Just wanted to say welcome to the BOC and I like your boat! Are you going to make it to the Missouri gathering at Truman? You should really try and come if you get a chance. Good hunting! Terry Day

3. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Hey Devlyn, I didn't fish pool 26 last year but from previous years would do well for channels along any of the rip rap banks next to the main channel during the summer. Cruise along them and look for any humps and fish them. Haven't fished below Winfied Dam (#25) except for walleyes in the winter. The blue in my avatar came from below the alton where the Mo. comes in. Be careful out there, coming spring the asian carp can be startleing to say the least and be sure to bring an extra prop along. Good luck and enjoy, the river is awesome

4. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I fished the area between Cuiver Island and the Winfield dam a bit this last year. Seemed like there were a lot of eaters but didn't bring up any big ones. In my case, probably lack of experience. DO get a map of the submerged dams or you will be needing that spare prop--they're all over the place outside of the main channel. If you plan on using the MDC access at Cuiver Island, you'll need 4X.

5. dhogue

dhogue Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Hey Mike, is that extra prop needed for the Asian Carps.

6. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Well Devlyn, lets just say there a prop repair shop in St. Charles that knows me on a first name basis :lol: , they can even look at the prop and pretty well say you hit it on a ramp or another wing dike. I know the river well have good maps but what could I say ... It's the dues we pay for enjoying our recreation and at the end of year I can definitely say I've enjoyed lots of time on the water. If there were ever a tournament for the fastest time to change a prop. I could hold my own with the best of em.

7. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Soon as the water warms up enough to bring the plankton up, we'll all be having to deal with the asian carp. Last couple of years there's been many folks sent to the hospitals and a couple of fatalities attributed to the asian carp. The sound of boat engines as well as light at night will spook them into jumping into the air. People have been hit causing the injurys. Most will be behind wing dikes, but I've had run ins with them on the main channel at night. They are the nastyest slimyest fish the good Lord created. Plus they have veins all over their outer body and leave slim and squert blood everywhere they hit in your boat. The slim dries like a snotty grean and you have to pull your boat into a car wash and power wash it out. You can see all the good things I have to say about them... Be carefull out there brother, all the time out on the water is worth it, even with the jumping carp and tore up props.

8. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I had so many asian carp jumping in my engine storage well this fall that I thought about opening the live well lid so they could jump in it and save me the trouble of chasing them all over the boat.

When the water is at it's normal summer depth those wing dykes & dams are about 18"-24" under the surface in the area above the pool where it is pretty much still a river vs an impoundment. Even if you know where they are, it's too easy to forget about them.:sad2:

9. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    I grew up in Lousisana, MO so I am used to fishing between Clarksville (sometimes below Clarksville) up to Saverton Dam. I moved to Troy a few years ago so when I got my boat I decided to try below Winfield dam because it is so close. There is a decent pay ramp not too far below the dam and I have done pretty good with blue and channel cat. Not any monsters yet although I did have "something" break my 50lbs power pro line. I think it was a big blue that got into some rocks or something. Anyway, as soon as the weather breaks a little I am going. Let me know if you want to go or if you want directions to the ramp I've been using.