Windy weather? pole tip up? or down?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by LadyValea1, Oct 5, 2006.

1. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    well...it was really windy today, I had my pole in a holder on the bank. This dude said I should point my pole tip down toward the water so I can feel the cats nippin, my pole was upright and my line was tight, the wind would whip it around a little. I did try holding my pole tip down toward the water and I could feel the tugs better. But what is the proper way to hold the pole? :confused2: "i don't know the speed of the wind that day...but it was a bad hair day for anyone"

2. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I'd say it depends on how you are fishing.
    ~ If you are tight-lining with a dead bait for channel cats, the rod tip should go up, Just use enough led to keep your bait in one place while your line stays tight.
    ~ If you have the bait click on and you are flatty fishing in the wind, I would point that rod tip down. (This would also make it quicker for you to prepare for the hook set after you engage the real).

** If you are just using one pole, the best would be to hold it and keep your fingers on the line to sense the bite...:0a26:

3. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I do hold the pole...fishing about 30feet from the bank...with a 2oz weight 20lb line,cutbait.. holding the pole, but if the wind blew a certain way, it would move my line a bit and I would think a channel was nippin. Darn wind.

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Tina. When I am fishing in the wind I have my rods pointed down as you have less line up in the air for the wind to catch and blow your line around. this seems to work better for Me.That was a Good Question and one that will help some of our new members just starting out.Rep Points to you. Your Friend J.D.
    :big_smile_2:

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Also would depend upon your hooks... if your using circle hooks, your pole needs to be in a position the fish can put a load on it. So, I'd say it needs to be elevated or set perpendicular to the bank if you put it low. The worse thing I find about windy days is your less sure of a bite so the cat either swallows the bait resulting in a gut hook, or it strips your bait off and your setting there fishing with nothing.

6. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    When it's windy i always fish directly into it and i keep my rods down with the clicker set to run...but i don't use circle hooks either:crazy: I'm a firm believer the less resistance there is when a fish runs the more likely they will not let go....

7. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I don't change my rod position in the wind . I use a bell which will sound with a jerking motion , not with the flex of the rod moved by the wind . A bite is [usually ] noticably different from wind motion .

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Put one of those little brass bells on in this Oklahoma wind and you will have people thinking it is a new tornado alarm. LOL

9. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    I fish in the wind,rods down,clickers on and perched over em like a hawk on a rabbit!:choler:

10. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't do this, but I was told to put a little slack in the line, pull the string down a few inches between the third and fourth eyelet and attatch a bobber to the dangling line. The theory is that when you get a bite, it will be more obvious because the bobber will move up and down instead of side to side like it does when the wind is blowing it. I just lower my rod tip a bit (not pointing at the water though) that works fine for me. Thought this might be worth mentioning.

11. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    i think its 6, 1/2 dozen, or the other. personal prefference. keep the tip o the pole up n the wind blows the slack, put tip down and the wave action from the wind creates slack. my personal preference is stay home when the winds blowin that much.