Windy Saturday on the James

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Paraguayguy, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I put in at Deep Bottom at a casual 7:30. Stopped by the bait hole downstream and caught enough for the day. Marked 5 kazillion Shad and other fish all along the north bank in the channel from the bait hole to past Curles Neck Mansion. I tryed several spots along the way and mananaged a few smallish fish. Off to the main river below Jones. Stopped and visited with a few folks and so far no one was slaying them. I decided to take a boat ride and see how the Lund likes the choppy water so I went down to Hopewell at 3/4 throttle. I was very pleased. The boat cut the water nicely. I would have rattled my filling out in the Lowe Roughneck. I saw some boats by the bridge at Jordon Point and I stopped and poked around the sunken barges. When the tide started coming back in the fish started biting pretty good. No big ones but lots of 5- 12 pounders. I should have hung around and fished there longer for a biggun but it was so pretty I had to run the boat some more. I stopped below Presquille and caught a 26 pounder in a new spot for me. Tryed a few more spots above Jones Neck and off the river around three. What a beautiful day. There were lots of boats out today. I bet with todays forecast of high wind hardly a sole is out there right now. The barometer is falling like a stone and I just know they are snapping and I am sitting here typing. Absolutely no wind outside right now. Its supposed to be howling in a little while.

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Sounds like a good day of fishing! Some day I'll have to fish the James.

I know what you mean about a windy Saturday! Spent some time on the Missouri River yesterday. Got a little rough out there...

3. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    Sounds like a great day on the water. I bet the long boat ride was as enjoyable as hauling in a biggon. Are you still working on the boat and or what are your next projects? Sounds like alot of cat fisherman were out yesterday and I hope all had a great day....
    Stay out of the wind today...

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    There was a plywood add-on box in the back attached to the transom lip. It was starting to rot so I ripped it out. I bought 3/4 inch marine plywood and will make the box a little bigger. I am going to separate the batteries to one side and put on two hatches. That way I can store the flotation vests, extra rope, and whatnot away from the batteries. I am putting 8 uprite rod holers on the front of the box. On either side of the box doors I am putting a Stainless rodholder to mount T Bars with four holders on each. I put four rod holders on the sides and will put a few more on the sides from my boat at my brother's house. I will mount my throw ring on the front of the console. I am debating on adding a little covered storage to the bow area. I am going to take my anchor gimble off my other boat and put it on this one which means I have to move the running lights to the sides of the front of the boat. Tomorrow I am taking the boat to the Mercury Dealer to get a tune up and for them to find out why it misses when you floor it and continues to miss for 15 seconds or so. I plan to take my children tubing and having it miss and sputter is no good. I really like this boat. I have wanted an Alaskan forever. No carpet on the inside!! Yesterday at the ramp, I threw a bucket of soapy water inside. Gave her a 5 minute brushing, three buckets of fresh water, and she's all good for a family ride. Sorry for the long winded answer.

5. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Kennth good to see you and your new boat Friday.....glad you stopped by and man thanks for getting rest of the shad out of the net and taking some off my hands....it was unreal....

let me tell you.....put the net out at T P @ the point ....pulling at a 45 degree angle at 4 ' from the bank....let it soak for 20 min and had about 20 cutters.....so good to go....it was so much slim on the net I decide to run it parallel to the shoreline in the middle of the channel to clean it....before I had it completly out the net had loaded up with cutters...man I couldn't believe it....didn't count them but I bet it was at least 40....as I'm getting the shad out....well some guys had been after me to bring them some frozen shad....so I figure this will be a good time.....I see paraguayguy (Kennth) coming down the channel in his new (to him) Lund...nice boat BTW...Kennth ask did I have any trouble getting shad....nope...you want some...so he jumps in the boat and gets rest of the shad out the net and ask for 15....take more...please....so I guess he took about 20....fished all day and still bagged 4 ...gallon sized freezer bags....sure was happy Kennth saw me...

Jerry

6. cameron_krazie

cameron_krazie New Member

State:
    virginia
    It sure was a windy day... I beleive I saw you around the db cut, I am the one who had the drift bucket out. I lost my rear anchor earlier in the day, so the bucket did help keep me straight, but only in a good moving current. Well I did manage a nice 42lber and a few dinks one 18, and one 22... I guess not to bad for a windy day. Probally could have done better if not for the loss of the rear anchor. Hard to keep set up on a spot with just front anchor and a hard wind. Oh, and who saw this fellow ride by in the db cut late afternoon????

Attached Files:

7. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    That was me that asked about the bucket on the rear of your boat. I will have to try that, Although! I hate fishing in the wind! :crazy:

I drove over the Wiley bridge today and the baby James up above Bosher Dam was a whitecap monster. I can imagine what it looks like down Jordon Point way where its big. Ugly I am sure and glad I have daughter Vollyball Duty today.

If everything works out right, I will sneak in a half day trip later in the week and next Sunday for sure.

8. Ripper

Ripper New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm glad to see other people had an enjoyable day on the river,We managed to get a 41,37,(2)34's,20,16.And the guy who was fishing with me got a new PB @ 37#.