Windy Fishing 11-15

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by BigBird, Nov 15, 2008.

1. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    I was planning all week to go fishing today but knew it would be tough with the wind gusting. Couldnt bring myself to stay at home.
    My thought was to get on the lake early and get a few hours in before the big blow. Slept four hrs and on the water before daybreak.
    The fishin was great but the catchin-not so good. Shad was 30 feet deep and only got a couple dozen threadfin. Also caught a couple bream and a couple perch. Live bait was hard to catch with all the freshwater and wind. In retrospect I spent too much time rounding up bait.
    I am new at the drifting game so utilized my time today to practice. -I had two drift buckets and a drift sock out.
    Called it quits before noon due to the white cappping..
    Gave the boat a good run in the caps to get rid of the $4 gas to make room for the $2 stuff. Put in a new bilge pump this week so was not worried about the cappin. Turns out i didnt get any water in boat and didnt need to use it but feel better about finally having it operational.
    Later,
    Lindsay

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    drifting can be tough and its hard to learn how to do it so practice days are a good thing

3. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You are definatley a die hard. I was planning to go striper fishing this morning and called it off last night when I saw the weather report.:sad2:

4. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I braved the weather today and went to Wateree to chase the stripers. Strong winds and waves were what we had all day. Caught 2 and missed about 5, caught 5 small cats also. Im going to Mt Island tomorrow hoping the winds lay down a bunch.

Which lake did you hit today???

5. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Cary-went to badin today.
    Good luck with MIL tomorrow. Hope the wind cooperates.

6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well at least you got to get out on the water.:wink: I cant remeber what the water looks like and I cant even get in my boat foe the cob webs.:smile2:J/K Maybe we can get together one day and work on that drifting.:wink:

7. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the report bigbird. Badin can get quit rough. You gonna be a Mtn.Island??

8. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I think I saw you put in bigbird, I was drifting near the sandbar to the right leaving old whitney, I went fri night, winds were calm at first but had a pretty steady rain/drizzle. started anchored about 7pm fished til daylight. winds were pretty ruff at times so I had to drift. I had a 10 foot and a 4 foot drift sock out, I drifted at times .7 mph. ... about the max I like to do. I say had to drift because I was going .3 mph with 2 anchors:smile2: I caught a couple small cats on the float rigs but I had more bait than I needed, only changed bait once...just to freshen them up. I went up to dam to get bait but I was by myself and they were releasing alot of water, I cant throw the net and surf the current so I had to go back to garr creek. I was dressed for rain, so wouldnt have been that bad a night if I had a hog to show for it,:wink:

9. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks everyone.
    SeaArk-See you sat. I am going to shoot you my cell.
    Lindsay