Windy day or not?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Catfish Shawn, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    I went out today and was fighting the wind. I had some good bites but the wind was making it hard to relax. Just wondering if you guys find the wind helpful or just hate it.

2. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Shawn, I think the winds makes a BIG differance on the lakes anyhow.

You will find me on the wind blown banks.

If you can get two or three days of wind blowing into the north banks you better be going to that bank.The cats will be stacked up there.The more wind you have crashing into the banks the shallower they will be.This is when you will see their tails coming out of the water and when they hit you wiil see them rolling on your bait.

Look for them off big flats or off points.The more structure you can find in these kind of areas the better it will be.

I'm talking shallow,shallow!!

"If you dont fish the wind you wont win":wink:

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I agree!! It is a blast to see one roll as you set the hook. One of the places I go the water is only about 3 feet deep. I always fish into the wind.

4. ks-limb-liner

ks-limb-liner New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I was raised with the concept of, on blue bird days, go to the picture shows, all others, go fishing!

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Twice now, I've had blues jump clear of the water on the hookset. Blew my mind.

6. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I agree with the others I hate fishing in the wind it wears you out,but I dont avoid it.Some of my best days were on widy points.It isnt just catfish either lots of fish are there which is probably why catfish are.I dont think it matters so much in the river I try to get a high bank behind me to get out of it.

7. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    Well right now the cats on the lakes are not real active. We got some eaters but nothing bigger then 1 - 2lbs. But like you all said the best bites was with the wind in my face. Thanks for the info guys.

8. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    We fish the mud flats on Ft Gibson and if the blues are feeding it a blast. They seem to hit the bait harder in shallow water. I use an 8oz egg weight, tru turn hook, and live shad with slack line. This is about the only time I use some other hook besides a circle hook.

9. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    I guess I am going against the grain here and sayin if it's really windy then I might as well stay home as I can't even get a bluegill to bite and without bait the fishing really stinks.

Now a day like tommorrow when I havn't really got to fish much and it's still earily then I will go.

Also it seems that I can't find shad on really windy day's but I guess thats just me.

Sometimes on windy day's I like to fish coves out of the wind and the bait fish like to congregate there IMO.

10. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    It's generally like Tom (n2fishn) says: two or three days tends to set the
    pattern, a steady wind will drive the bait fish into the downwind bank
    and the cats will follow. If you are bank fishing and the wind is in your
    face it's a good sign. The longer the wind blows in your face, the better
    your chances get. You won't get the big long cast but you won't need it
    cause the cats will probably be shallow pestering the shad.