windy day on the Chickahominy River

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by caveman, Jan 4, 2008.

1. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    new year's day wasn't the best time to be out.

well i lost an anchor, broke a paddle and couldn't catch any shad.

i did mange this though

[​IMG]

vaughn

2. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Congrats on the catch Vaughn....just bought me a heavier anchor today....a 20lb sea anchor now I just need an anchor man....lol...maybe the shad will be a little eaiser once you get the gill net......

We are going to be at Deep Bottom in the morning around 6:30.........Jerry

3. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    thanks jerry, my boat is at my father-in-law's. he's out in lanexa only 3 miles from the chick.

might hold out for sunday for deep bottom, save some cats for me.

vaughn

4. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Least ya got a nice fish for your troubles...

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Nice fish Vaughn. What was the length and how much did you think it weighed?

Couldn't fish this weekend, but hope to make it back out next weekend or weekend after that.

Still searching for that first monster....

6. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    right at 38 inches, i could have stretched it another inch! lol. i'm guessing the weight at least 25-30lbs.

i like em a little longer 40 plus, so there's no doubt...

green top has some nice brass spring scales, but $$$.

i need to get one, for now i'm just going by the foot, 3 foot and longer = good fish:big_smile:

vaughn

josh, Still searching for that first monster....??

doesn't 50 plus qualify?? lol

7. critter68

critter68 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Caveman, as big as the fish get there, I wouldn't even qualify anything under 70 pounds as a "monster"! I've caught 4 there over 50 and I only get there about 4 or 5 times a year.

8. cameron_krazie

cameron_krazie New Member

State:
    virginia
    Don't know if you know, but boaters world has a 100# shimano spring scale for 32 bucks.... accurate and adjustable... have had no problems with mine, so far..

9. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    will check into that scale.

another good day out, slow bites only 3 fish.

the weather was great though!

[​IMG]

10. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Well I just purchased a 100 # Shimano Spring Scale and I'm not impressed with it at all. I think it's cheaply made. I calibrated the scale and found I had to run the adjutment out .430 to get it close. At 10 lbs it's off by a pound, 20 lbs it's off 3 pounds, at 50 lbs and 100 lbs it's pretty close. The thing is the adjustment screw is so loose it will not stay set. I even used blue Loctite on it and that would not secure it enough. I finally took it apart and made a bushing to fit over the adjustment screw so I could tighten it and now I feel it will stay calibrated. I really don't think it will hold up in the long run....the slide indicator seems to be cheaply made also.....I guess the old saying you get what you pay far....holds true.....

Jerry

11. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I don't know if I'd trust that sucker. I have a US Digital/Coffee Marketing 110lb digital scale (silver one). Alot of members on here have them and haven't heard any complaints yet. I think there is a special BOC discount available direct from the manufacturer, but I got mine even cheaper off Ebay.

Berkley also has a 100lb digital scale with a couple extra features, but it is more expensive. Gutmaster just got this one.

12. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    most of the spring scales i've seen have me doubting them.

the shimano one looks like the bps one i took back.

i'm looking into this digital one, ultrasport 50 model

http://www.jscale.com/product/_ultrasport_series.html

i might gamble on this one??

the measuring tape isn't off though, i'm hunting for one 4-5 ft.!! lol

vaughn

13. VAcatdude

VAcatdude New Member

State:
    va
    The utrasport is a good scale for the money, but it's small and tends to be hard to get an accurate reading on due to the sensitivity of it. It is accurate though. I really like the scale Gutmaster has. I had him weigh a fish on it for me the other night so I could see it in action. Nice big handles and hook + a dual sided readout. I like my Ultrasport, but I may have to upgrade to the big berkley soon. (If his stands the test of time.)

14. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    I have the Berkley 100lb digital scale and it works great. You can read it from both sides and it has big digits. It weights to 1/10 lb .... It takes (2) AAA batteries which I have not had to change yet. Bad thing is the price. Some where around $100 bucks. But I got a deal. Got mine at Cabela at a new store that just opened near Chicago. I got $45 off the price...... Couldn't pass that up....