Winds on Lake Moultrie

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by blackwaterkatz, Apr 17, 2007.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    For anyone who hasn't seen what the wind can do to Lake Moultrie: I took these pics early yesterday morning with winds at an est. 20-25 knots. The pics don't really do justice as well as a video might, but it shows how dangerous it can get on the lower lake. First-timers would do well to keep this in mind. :big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Those North Carolina boys say thats the way they like it........just throw out a bigger sock !!!
    Looks like Roundhill or either catfishrus boat on the horizon in one of those shots !!!!

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    ken 20-25 knots is pushing the limit. i do like it ruff though. you turn those winds around blowing into the canal and add current coming down the canal and you just might go down at the mouth of the canal. that lake can and will hurt you. dont take long to go from calm to ruff out there either. its a matter of minutes. thanks for the pictures tommy.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Are you kidding me?What waves?:roll_eyes: :smile2: I start worrying when Im looking UP at the waves as they go by!!!!:big_smile: That is definitely a 3 sock day.Those of us that fish Kitchigumee (Santee) regularly have warned folks repeatedly about the hazards.After the drownings last Nov I went and bought all new life preservers at West Marine.The big ones designed to keep you upright with all the reflectors etc.The truly frightening thing about those two lakes is it can go from dead calm to what you see in 5 minutes simply because they are so shallow and that water gets in motion in a hurry.Those are close to the conditions that night the fishermen drowned.

5. catman823

catman823 New Member

State:
    pa
    That would be a good day to stay in the cabin and play cards.
    Thanks for sharing your pictures.

6. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    I was at Short Stay last year when the tropical storm came thru and it was scary to see. Although that night the wind stopped and we killed'em on a flat the wind had blew to all day.

7. yamaha16444

yamaha16444 New Member

State:
    ga
    Last year,we were above Harry's.We could see a storm moving toward the dam,It looked like it was going to miss where we were.Boy was I wrong.We were drift fishing when all the sudden the wind stopped blowing,the pontoon spun around before we could get the lines in.That storm was on us in a minute.We made tracks for Harry's.It was probably the worst storm I have ever been in while fishing.

8. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    WOW! I got stuck out on Hartwell in waves like that and we about capsized! I'm not even kidding!

9. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    thats why I prefer the canal, I try to stay out of the big water.

10. The Penn Slammer

The Penn Slammer New Member

State:
    Princeton, West
    Thanks for the pictures. I always try to warn people about Moultrie but most cant imagine how rough this lake can get. I was crossing from Harrys to Randolphs for a tournament about 6 years ago and seen plenty of boats that were struggling and praying. One actually flipped trying to get back about 10am that morning after there boat was filled with water at Randolphs Landing earlier the same morning.The waves were probally 6-8 feet coming out of the southwest and slamming everything on the north side of the lake. I can also remember sitting in a rain storm once catching fish and enjoying myself until the rain turned to 3/4 inch hail and pounded me,at that point it was to foggy to see five feet ahead so all I could do was cover up with cushions and wait it out. Now I am very cautious and dont take chances.

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Richie the run from Harrys to Randolphs,across the face of the dam has to be the worst case scenario on Santee.I finally started getting a room at Harrys for Sat nights so I wouldn't have to make that run at night in a bad storm. when fishing the Randolphs tourneys.The worst is when the wind is from the west or southwest.The waves crash against the dam face and rebound which causes a mass of moving water going in all directions.I have sworm my boat has been tossed in 3 directions at once.If the wind is from the north then Randolphs will be calm WHEN you get there,if you get there,but from the south it is hell because once you get there you have to go around back to be safe.I have seen as many as 7 boats sunk,swamped or just thrown up on shore by south winds.It is no place to fool around with and people simply cant believe how fast it will go from dead calm to raging waves.Most of the time it only takes 5 minutes.In a hard west wind it is almost impossible to stay in the cleared lane in front of the dam because the waves will be pushing you towards the rocks while you try and stay away, all the while wondering how many floating logs have broken loose because you sure cant see them .

12. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I have been there in my big boat (22' cuddy cabin) and it can be scary. It's much closer (by vehicle) for me to get to Randolph's but I decided when I'm fishing the canal to put in at the canal. The water can really back up at the dam. I have thought about about having to abandon the boat in a life jacket and being beaten to death on the rocks.

13. Grizdog

Grizdog New Member

State:
    SC
    Considering the photos and how dangerous it might be to run from the dam on Moultrie back to Blacks or the canal, where the best place to launch if you're fishing around the dam on Moultrie......and don't want your truck windows broken or gas siphoned when you get back?

14. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    try pinopolis.....it's about 3 miles from the dam

15. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    ATKINS LANDING is at Lions beach, just across from pinopolas point and just at the end of the rock leavy along the dam. Don't have their number?

16. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Rich, it isn't that rough all the time; some days are glassy. You just have to be aware of the weather at all times. A moderate (10-15mph) wind from the East can be ok for fishing, but if water is being pulled through the diversion canal near Black's, that area can have waves several feet high, even though the open water isn't very rough at all. The size of your boat, experience, and the wind direction are all factors to be considered. Most of the foul weather comes from the south and west down there, and moves rapidly. Just keep a heads-up at all times and you will be ok.
    No different, I guess, than many other open-water lakes across the country. Always have a plan for escape to safety.

17. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    excellent advice fellows. any large lake can be tricky when the weather turns. just be careful.:wink:

18. AgentDuder

AgentDuder New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The lake doesnt have to be big. Water just some times has a mind of its own. When I was about fifteen years old my Dad came close to swamping a 16' fish-n-ski on Lake Monticello. I wouldnt go back with him to Monty for about four years. Since I now have the center console, though, I like a little chop. (Makes you feel like the boat is doing something.)

Its good though to let everyone know just how dangerous it can be out there. Alot of people just dont respect the lakes like they would the ocean. Its not the size of the body of water that draws us to it though its the water itself. When ever you are on the water though you have to remember you are at her mercy, but you dont have to fear it just respect its power.

Thanks for the post.

19. tennessee blues

tennessee blues New Member

State:
    Fort Bragg, North Carolina
    Guys, this is great info and I hope all the folks making their first trip to Santee heed the good advice. I've fished both lakes for years and have never seen such violent weather in-land. I've had the front of my 25ft Crest ripped off by rogue waves (that was the day the two men from Tennessee drowned). We nearly sank but as bad as that day was, I have seen worse. Be safe out there.

Shayne

20. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Very good pics, thanks Tommy.