Window shopping for gear

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kscathunter, Feb 20, 2006.

1. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I've been window shopping for a new r&r so when I get my tax refund back I know what I want. I'm 98.9% shure I want to try a lever drag reel. These are what I've been looking at
    1.Penn 320LD-330LD
    2.Shimano Charter Special TR2000LD
    3.Okuma Titus T-15L
    And if for some reason I dont get a lever drag I'll probally go after a
    4.Penn 220GTO.
    I'd consider an Abu 10000 or 7000LD but if Im spending 139.99 I'm getting a Penn 330LD.
    For rods I've been eyeballing these in order of preferance
    1. Ugly Stick Tiger 2202
    Tie 2. Quantam Big Cat BCC76H
    2. Penn Slammer Sl3060C70
    All feedback good or bad on any or all gear would be :0a31:

2. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    I like your taste in gear.I got the penn 220gto and the quantum bigcat on order from cc. i ordered an okuma sd30l also i dont know how that will turn out but i'm gonna give it a try.

3. IamMike

IamMike New Member

State:
    Ohio (near cincy)
    I've never owned a lever drag reel, but I have used a few. I've always looked at them as a trolling reel and I don't want to set my drag after every cast. I've never really used them in a practical situation (fighting a fish), so I'm not too sure of the advantages. Let me know what you think of it after long term use, I'm quite curious. I know Abu makes a lever drag 7000, I talked a friend out of buying one.

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I chose the Charter Special 2000 LD over the 320 LD,because the bearings felt smoother,when I held them both to my face,where I could feel them,while I rotated the spool.I had 3 of each before me at Bass Pro.My 345 GTI seems smoother than the 320 LD,s did.I aint;caught any decent size fish on them,so I cain,t say much,except that they work like a dream.I can only handle about 7 1/2 lbs.of drag,and I don;t know how long I could hold up to that.If I ever hook another big fish,someone else would have to do the fighting.I get some strange looks and comments while bream and bullhead fishing with these reels.They let me fish at times,that I could not with smaller reels.Shimano claims up to 33 lbs.of drag for the Charter Special.I would think that the 330LD would be a dream come true. IamMike,I don;t understand why you would set your drag after every cast.Am I missing a good thing?peewee-williams

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Thats one thing I'd really like to know thanks peewee. :0a31: I started another thread a while back about max lb of drags but got no responce.

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    IMO, the Penn 330 is a little bit overkill for catfishing. You sacrifice some casting distance for gains in line capacity that may give you no benefit. Now I'm comparing the regular 330 and 320, but the same should apply to the LD models.

I love the 2202 Tiger. I can't comment on the others rods you mention.

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    What I'd be looking for in the 330 over the 320 would be more drag strength not so mutch line cap.

8. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've owned and used both the GTi 330 and GTi 320. I sold the 330 on ebay because it was too big and heavy and cost too much to spool with braid. I bought 2 320's and haven't looked back. The 320/330 have identical drag systems.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Thanks for all the info so far guys:0a31: . SO far you guys got me talked into a penn 320ld and a tiger 2202 pretty mutch what I was planning on.:)