Winda or winder..

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Wil, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    me and my friend at school are tryin to figure out if people from the south say winda or winder more.. i lived in arkansas and i remember winda but he insists that winder sounds better... what do yall say?

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I say window, LOL!!! It is pronounced Windá, LMAO!!!

3. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    You friend Can't spell! Winda is what you open to let air in the house. And a winder is whats on the back of a clock you wind it up with. As soon as me and my grandson get home from school tomorrow I can tell ya'll for shore.:big_smile:

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you are talking about a window, I would say winder. My grandma calls a horse a harse. She's not from the south, but it's still funny to hear her talk in her regional dialect. I'm from the very deep south, but live here in Mo where you may hear all sorts of dialect from the north and south. I personally say window, and don't feel like my dialect is regional, but I'm sure some would disagree if they heard me talk. I sometimes hear myself speaking in the local redneck tongue.

5. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    You guys are nuts...kind of like water or wutter...LOL

6. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    i remember myself saying winda like i said. im sure that everyone says it different it just depends on where ur from i guess lol.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Depends on where you live. Here its not a fire house its far house.
    Its not a truck tire, its a truck tar.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    winda, winder or window. Doesn't really matter. If it is raining in get it closed. I love that southern draw. You all come.:big_smile:

9. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well, Up where I'm from in Michigan, it's usually plain old window, but down here in Okiehoma, I hear "winder" alot. Noticed I've picked up some of the far and tar that Mark J mentioned since livin here, and a few other lingos, but it's still a window to me. Oh, also noticed it's not a window sill but a winder seal around here. :lol:

10. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I don't rightly know what all you folks up thar in tha north do when it get's cold out doors but here in Missippi I shut the winder.

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I ain't fur shore or for certin but, I thank that boy from up north is'a makin fun of us boys what is'a catch'n all the bigguns here in god's cuntry!!!! LMAO!!!
    Is'ya Boy???:wink: :wink:

12. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    In Nebraska, its winda.:big_smile:
    We "warsh" our clothes, and we drink pop, not soda.:lol:

13. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Wil, comin from the south and talkin with a lotta suthern drawl, I would be apt to say that alot of it has to do with area and age. Most of the older generation like my Mamaw and Papaw who are in the 80's age range, God rest their souls, would say winder...alot of their language has the (er) on the end of it. But with, say, the age group of children - 40's it would be winda...basically just laziness in correct grammar or slang which ever you think best fits. Also it would have to do with the surroundins you are in... most country folk like me will say winda but the more you get into a business settin the more they tend to be verbally correct.
    Personally, I tend to talk with a very suthern drawl, dont even like to hear myself on an answerin machine..lol... but when Im in a different settin, I tend to be more verbally correct as I know I should be...contrary to belief, southerners are educated ppl too. Some just try harder than others. Hope this helps your debate.

14. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    haha dont worry JW i aint makin fun of yall.. haha all the replies are kinda funny though lol

15. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    OH MY, this thread is funnier to me than I can say here on the board. I don't really know what I call it, probably both from time to time, as Leslie said. It is funny to analyze people's vocabulary and I had a lot of fun with it a while back and even learned there is NOT any such word as WASPER or WASPERS. LMAO

VinEgar,
    Cheryl

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC

We just call it a drink.

17. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    ya i call it pop. it really gets you thinkin about why people talk different just cuz of where they live.. lol