WIND

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by smokeysmurf22, Dec 18, 2007.

1. smokeysmurf22

smokeysmurf22 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i fish from a boat alot and sometimes the wind just gives me hell all day. i've been told that the wind coming from the north and blowing in a southern direction, is a good wind of putting in at the fairgournds in clarksville. im just wondering if any of you guys pay attention to the wind direction before you go? because we all know its not fun trying to fish when your boats turning around on you. has the current been strong enough to keep the boat straight? i have to make a 2 hour drive to fish so any info to help me out is appreciated. it sucks to go all that way then when u get there the wind and current arent cooperating.

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't guess I do if I plan on fishing then I am going fishing period unless theres lighting I will be out there.

3. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    If your fishing a river try a drift sock or drift bucket to keep the boat straight, and a slicker will keep you warmer on a windy day than just a jacket

4. jrod79

jrod79 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i hate doing anything in the wind but catching cats is worth it .have u thought about anchoring with multiple anchors to keep the boat and the line where u put them? i have done this with success against wind and people waking the heck out of u but it can take 3 anchors and it kind of a pain in the rear. good luck

5. smokeysmurf22

smokeysmurf22 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i've tried some of those before and they definately help. i guess the better the current the less the wind is gonna mess with ya anyway. its just nice to have it blowing downstream when ya can.

6. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    TIE THE ANCHOR TO THE BACK OF YOUR BOAT AND LET ER SPIN, WORKS FOR ME ON WINDY DAYS.

7. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    When there's not enough current to hold the boat straight I use 2 anchors. Put an anchor from the front of the boat and let the boat float back some, then put an anchor out from the back of the boat, and then pull back up on the front anchor line until both anchor lines are tight. It helps a lot on windy days with little current, just watch out for the back anchor line if you get a big fish on. Hope this helps and good luck fishin'.

8. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I must say what bumper said about watching the back anchor rope is true I always anchor front and back anywhere I fish, I can stand the boat swinging around. But it is kinda touchy when you have a big fish on cause if he gets into that line kiss him goodbye some how I have caught all of my pbs from the back and fought them around the rope in 60 foot of water and never lost a fish, but it is hairy and freaks ya out when you have a 60 pound plus fish fighting and it could get caught at anytime

9. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Just curious but have you tried to get up in a creek out of the wind and current and cast out into water entering the creek, after all the rain we have had it should have turned up that area pretty good.