Wind-Wind-Wind!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Old Bill, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Am I the only whimpy person in Oklahoma who's fishing this year has been put on hold because of the high Oklahoma winds?:eek:oooh:

I've lived in OK most of my life, and I can't remember any year being this windy.

I have 20 new noodle jugs made up, new line on my reels, and bait in the freezer...yet, so far this year the wind has kept me and my 14-foot aluminum boat off the water!:angry:

And, the news about a boater drowning last week on a OKC lake, because of high winds and waves, makes me even more whimpy!!

I may have to forget the boat, and relearn how to bank fish...

BAH!!!

2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It aint just Oklahoma Bill. I think its the whole central part of the country. We have had more than our share here in Indiana too.

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Same here. It is getting old. Id rather sit out in the rain and snow than to get pounded with 20 mph constant winds with gusts up to 50. Thats what it was like this weekend.:angry:

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    You want wind? Come to Nebraska!! lol! it's been a crazy year with the weather. more rain and wind than you can shake a stick at!! tornados, hail, terrential rain storms. yuk!:angry: at least the fish are biting!!!:big_smile::wink:

5. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    that wearther man friday said 10 to 15 mph wind sat.right! + 15mph. i loaded up my jugs ,caught my bait there in the cove and went around the point coming out of sallisaw creek and headed out to the nav.channel, man there was white caps at 4ft. high in the low gust. needless to say i went home ,pushed the lawn mower and did honey do`s. mercy! i hope its not windy next sat.!:tounge_out::eek:oooh:

6. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    the wind dont bother my fishin as much as the floods ..but that wind sure puts the bendin' on my tomato plants

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I fished Grand this weekend and it was like an ocean. Fortunately I was at the dock yesterday morning when i sheared off a starter bolt.Honestly i think it will get better when the weather stableizes and the fish get done havin babies.

8. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK

I'm with ya, Bill. i told my wife that i didn't remember ever having this much wind for this many days in a row. i have the pontoon ready for a shakedown cruise, but since i am new to driving a 'toon, and it is only on loan to me, there is no way i am going to try to load and unload it in high wind.

and with the torrential rain that started early this morn and still continues, my bank fishing on the north canadian will be shot for a couple of days :(

9. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Yeah, Phil, a pontoon boat can be a handfull loading in a strong crosswind! However, one nice thing is, no matter how far away from the trailer you might get blown...there is no danger of being swamped with a high wave!:wink:

Dang, I sure miss my old pontoon boat!

By the way I just heard that Oklahoma has received 3.7 inches of rain this morning. We may need to start thinking about building an ARK!:crazy:

10. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Bear, from what I've seen on TV, it appears that half of Indiana is flooded with hundreds of homes underwater!

Is any of the flooding near you?

11. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    Ice, floods and high winds makes for some sorry fishing. I keep trying with bad results. The high winds have sure turned the waters muddy. Keep thinking its got to get better but I can't see any relief in sight. Going into withdrawals without my fix.

12. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The high water, even the ups and downs of the lake levels do not bother me.
    The high winds do. I like to drift some, jug some, and even anchor up and fish a deep hole or log jam.

A note all pontoon boaters, you can swamp, pitchpole or even tip a pontoon. I have rescued tooners that caught a bow wave that capsized them, I have watched a 30 footer tip over, bad judgement on the captn's part, I have searched for survivors from a wind alert day tooners that ignored, only to run for the bank and flip.
    Would love to own a toon, but beter judgement keeps me in the boat I own now, bought it because of 25 years of watching boats in bad weather.
    Best bet, BE SAFE DON'T TAKE A CHANCE.......
    Mrwhiskr

13. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    There's only two conditions that will keep my boat on the trailer if I want to go fishing...
    1. lightning
    2. high wind (over 20mph)
    The first only requires common sense and an ear for thunder. The wind is a different animal all together. I like the wind to be anywhere between a gentle breeze to about 15mph. It makes for good fishing and keeps the bloodsuckers away.

A 20 mph wind can whip up a 3 foot rolling wave here on Kerr, and any other lake that has a mile or more of water for the wind to sweep over. Most small boats have 12 inches of freeboard. Do the math... a small boat is just an accident waiting to happen in such conditions.

Be careful and if there is any doubt as to your personal safety, err on the side of safety and fish another day. :big_smile:

14. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Albert has advise we all should heed here. I don't want to swamp my ole tub, and end up fishin from the bank. It ain't much but it's all i got.:embarassed:

15. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i will not fish with lightning in the sky. i do not let the wind bother me to much. i have been caught in some bad situations but i can usually find places protected from high winds to fish. one of the worst places i have been was the nav channel on kerr lake below webbers falls dam. me and a buddy ran down the lake fishing for stripper. the wind kicked up and the trip back up the river was constant 3to 4 foot waves. i had a 19 foot winner with a 175 suzuki and we were air born about 30% of the time. i was out on olaguauh(spelling) once when the wind kicked up . that is the place i consider to be the most dangerous in oklahoma wind.

16. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i know what you mean abuot the oklahoma wind. we just left texoma today and the wind has blown for a week straight. we could go out early most days and fish until it got real bad and head in with the wind at our back for the trip in. we did catch some nice stripers and plenty of catfish.

17. catfisherokie

catfisherokie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Harley might disagree with you on swamping a pontoon. We had a tournament on Kaw this past Sat. He was having to back the boat out of the waves as they came over the front...lost most everything that was not heavy or tied down on the deck. His boat has like a 2 foot metal skirt or railing around it and his stuff was swept over that. Might be a good reminder for others to know that the pontoon boats will "submarine" on you if you throttle foreward when you take water over the front like that. We had upwards to 6 foot waves that afternoon that kinda snuck-up on everyone fishing. Just one of those deals where the waves were spaced out and he couldnt get on top of them. It got real dangerous in a hurry. Everyone made it in ok, just a lot of rattled nerves. Albert I am sure remembers Texoma last year....it was all that plus some I think.

18. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    This has me scratching my head...last night on the news, they ran a story 'bout some poor schmuck that lives on Lake Hudson. Seems that the lake is so high, his dream home is getting flooded. For the fourth time.

So I go and check it out. The flood control pool on Hudson fluctuates between 619' msl and 636' msl, and as of yesterday, the lake was around 630...six more feet to go to the top of the published flood control pool.

Huh? What kind of idiot...nevermind. Better question: Why does GRDA even allow structures in the floodplain? And another: Why would anyone loan money on a house built in a floodplain?

This ain't rocket surgery.

19. dusty_allen

dusty_allen New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I'm tried of the wind too. It not only blows you around but also does a number on my allergies! lol

20. clintok

clintok New Member

State:
    oklahome
    the wind is a big problem to me some times!:angry: