Wind or trolling motor slow drift on Lake Norman

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, May 25, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    If you are looking for a little action or food, LKN is the place to be for eating size fish (3 to 6 pound blues). Pick almost any creek connecting with the main channel and drift the center of the creek (7 to 30 feet). White perch, shad, blue backs, gold fish, bream, carp, etc. it does not matter what you offer them. This AM (Friday) my partner (Cliff) and myself netted 22 blues in less than five hours and yesterday in the PM, Dabear and myself netted close to twelve in less than 4 hours in a lot of boat traffic. The big ones are on their way to span and thus, leaving the bite to the young ones. Same thing happen last year, with Mudkip and WylieCat harvesting forty some blues using white perch, etc. for bait in one outing. Don't place all your money on the Carolina rig, try some vertical lines or side planer boards with a little weigh on the line. Some of the fish are suspended as are the white perch and bottom feeding bass. The latter two species you can cut up for fresh bait. Come have some fun but, please pratice CPR if you catch a big one, because he or she is on their way to thier spawning areas.

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    mac what is the lake temp. right now?

3. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I'll be there on Mon. morning and fish until the boat traffic gets too bad. We'll be in Davidson and Ramsey Creeks. Hopefully we'll find some!

4. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    When Tha Bear and myself went fishing Friday afternoon I tried out my new Guide Series Reels from Gander Mtn. spooled with 20 pound Cajun Red fishing line. I had heard several of the BOC members mentioned that they used 20 test line for blues and had good experience with it. Well, Tha Bear and myself lost several fish when the cats would roll up on the line past the shock leader and cut my line. Needless to said, the 20 pound test line is now in the garbage can. Never had that problem with 30 pound line of any kind. We looked at the line and it was not broken, just a neat cut on the end of the line. Live and learn. PS, the new reels worked just great!

5. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Could be you were using the wrong brand. I use 20 pound Berkley Big game and have never had that problem. I can't remember my main line ever being cut. I use 40 pound big game for leaders.....:wink: I know any line can be cut in the right situation though.

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    mac thats the same problem i was having with andy 30lb test leaders. im like you though i like 30lb test main line myself and now i got 50lb leaders and havent had one to cut it yet but i do have to change them regular. when i fished with tomahawk a while back i would set the hook and feel the fish roll and come off. they cut my leader. havent had one to do it since i up graded my leaders and i been testing it pretty good lately.:big_smile:

7. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Michael, they are not cutting my shock leader (40 to 50 pound), but rolling up on the fishing line. Never had that happen using 30 pound line, but sure did with the 20 (could have been some gars, but I doubt it). Also, it could have been a rare occurrence (twice in one outing), but I can't have my clients losing fish due to that problem. I keep hearing good things about the Berkley Big Game line, might try it when it is time to change the line I have on now.

8. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have caught plenty of blues using 20 lb. Cajun Red line with a 30 lb. Ande line leader and can't ever remember having my line cut. Cajun Red is tough line. Just don't use it on spinning reels.

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    yea mac i knew what you was talking about. i was just saying they was cutting my 30 lb andy line leaders on the hook set. i have caught some good fish with the 30 before but that one night i lost 4-5 decent size fish. i have never had one to roll up on my main line though. heck you fish long enough and you will have a problem ever now and then. its always funny because when i had a problem nobody else had one and now you got one and someobody else dont. on a side note i had a good night of fishing last. the top 5 fish weighed 132lbs. wish i could do it in a tournament one day. heres pictures of the two biggest ones 32lb and 28lb. i had a 27,25 and 20. bite really picked up after the boat traffic died. all released back.

Attached Files:

10. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Nice night on the water Michael, when the boat traffic goes away, the cats come out to play....:big_smile:

11. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I fished Badin last night also, but didn't get any big fish. I drifted all night and landed a bunch of fish up to 10 lb. Almost ran over three guys on the way back to the ramp. They were in a jon boat that had turned over and they were on th back of it and there were no lights anywhere. Of course I helped drag 'em to shore. Being hammered, in a jon boat wiht no life jacket on spells disaster. Ya'll be careful out there!!! The idiots are out for sure!

12. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    chris that reminds of a night i fished up river at badin when a small 12ft v bottom boat with a pinto bean motor on it with 4 people tried to take on the current behind the dam. they lost making 360s out of sight in the dark....lol. we later about ran over them in the dark setting in the main channel with no lights. hate to see someone get hurt but sometimes they are just asking for it. seems the holidays pull out the best in some folks. i wish they would understand they are putting other folks in harms way with there stupidity. full moon coming too. better look out!

13. ThaBear

ThaBear New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Was with Mac when we had the trouble with the fish cutting the 20lb line.
    Had this problem a couple of years ago when first started Catfishing.
    Was using 20lb line and the blues were at the damn at Norman in large numbers. The fish when reeled in would start to roll and would catch the line in a side fin and roll up the line around their bodies and then would cut the line. The lines that were cut with Mac only had slime on the lines above the leaders which meant to me they getting the lines wrapped and cutting the line.