Wind on Lake Marion

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by outoftheboat, Mar 21, 2008.

1. outoftheboat

outoftheboat Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I tried to fish on Thursday but with 5' waves on the big water and 1-2' waves behind the islands, fished for 30 minutes and then spent over an hour getting back to the landing. I put it an Rocks Pond. I have heard of people catching them on mud lines with high winds and I commend them for that talent. It's just not worth loosing a boat or a life to me. No fun in a 17' Tracker with that type of wind. I should have gone to the canal and drifted. Will fish again!!!

2. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks for the report Kelley. The winds can be rough on either lake. Some nice fish can be caught when the wind is howling though if you can deal with the waves. Sometimes that is a tough decision.

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    The waves aren't for me either.

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I know what you mean Kelley I was out there Wed and didnt take but a few hours for me to tuck my tail and ease back to the canal.

5. fishwillie1

fishwillie1 New Member

State:
    Pamplico S.C.
    I was out there on wed. and sat. and I've got a 22' boat and it was still rough but keep tying

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the report

7. duc dowg

duc dowg New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have a 25' pontoon. How would it do in the winds?

8. outoftheboat

outoftheboat Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm not for sure if Carnival Cruise Lines would have braved the wind and waves. The waves were really crazy.

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Bryan, it depends on how you set up. If you are drifting with good drift socks off the bow, you can probably fish in winds up to 20 or so, if you pick your areas. Roundhill is a good one to ask about that. He has a 24' and can handle some weather that would have me at home drinking coffee....