wind effect on flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by musky_D, Jun 9, 2009.

1. musky_D

musky_D New Member

State:
    Plano, TX
    Does the wind affect the flathead bite anything like it turns on the blues? The wind has been blowing and is going to continue for another week here 20-25 from the south. Thanks.

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,m a bank fisherman only.The Ohio river runs east to west through Pittsburgh.If we get a good hard south wind for a few days,we do get a mudline for about 20 ft out on the north shore.The baitfish and white bass will be piled up on this line,wallys and saugers too.I never noticed a dramatic rise in bites from catfish,but when conditions are like this,I will keep most of my cat baits in the same place.I feel if the baitfish are there,EVERYTHING else is gonna follow.:wink:

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I think the 2 major things that affect the flathead bite is:

1. Full moon.:embarassed:
    2. High pressure.:angry:

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yes the wind will actuly trigger them to feed shallower ,on my lake not always im no pro

5. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I agree with Blackie on the moon and Barometric pressure having the most effect on flatheads. I think wind bothers fishermen more than the fish. I've caught some of my bigger fish on extremely windy nights. I do think a north wind slows them down. But that is usually accompanied with low barametric pressures.

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im no pro but i agree with the above a northwind is not good or a coldfront coming in

7. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    East they bite the least... west they bite the best, south the bait blows into their mouth, but what the heck happens when the wind blows north?:confused2:

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

Aint nothing good ever comes from a north wind,I guess that,s why it don,t have no good rhyme for it!:wink:

9. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    North no need to go fourth!
    Loop

10. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    One of the best 45 mins of flat head fishing was done in the fall the wind was out of the west the river was on the rise.I was fishing an area where an old highway was covered over and broken down the bite was slow the wind changed to the north and for the next 45 mins I caught a 28,23,18, an a 12lb mess of flats.So the saying doesn't always hold true.
    Loop

11. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    After years of asking that question NO one knew the answer! lol-Reps for that!

12. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    You put the fishin' rod away and go shoot some ducks, silly!:big_smile::wink::004::eek:oooh:

13. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Really? I've known the rhyme for all four directions for probably 15 years now. My dad (who taught it to me) has probably known it for nearly 40. I was going to post it if nobody else did.

14. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My dad taught it to me too but I couldnt remember the north part to save my life.... and no one I knew could either! Now I can FINALLY teach it to my 10 and 12 y/o boys :big_smile: lol

15. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    full moon good or bad? i got my pb on a full moon and light rain. it eas 51 lb.9oz. just wondered. thanks, shane

16. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

High pressure-bad-but still a lot better cance than staying at home.Full moon-bad for werewolves-I don,t think the cats give a rats A**!:wink:

17. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Full moon generally kills the flattie fishing. I have heard a bunch of folks say the same thing you just said though.... That they caught their PB on a full moon night.... so I believe there might be something to an idea of full moons and bigger fish. Was it a flattie or blue?