Wind direction - Does it effect catfishing?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by steveg442, Mar 20, 2006.

1. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    My dad use to tell me "the wind from the east the fish bite the least". "The wind from the west the fish bite the best". I was just wondering if the day that you go out and the fish are slow biting or not biting at all if you ever notice which way the wind was blowing. I believe that I've had slow day and the wind was from the east. How about you?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Ya forgot, "Wind from the south blows it in thier mouth" LOL!

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    LOL thats to funny my grandfather used to say that all the time.The thing is he sweared by it,if the wind was blowing from the east he would flat out refuse to go fishing.I never really believed it but mybe there is something to it.

4. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Steve, yes I have had a bad day when the wind was out of the east. I also have had bad days when the wind was north south and west. I too have had good days on all four of the winds. It all just depends on the fish, bait and location more than wind direction, current, or barometric pressure. Just my oppinion. Vern

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I swore by it also. But it didn't seem to hold true in saltwater. AND, when I set around getting bored, and the wind was out of the North... I say "AwShucks, I am not going to get a bite by setting here" or words to that effect. So, I'd grab my bass pole and head out. Bassin' so I wouldn't waste too much time...lehhehehhe At any rate, I have caught a couple of 7 lb bass, a few in the six pound class, and several in the 5 lb range all on North winds. So now, I don't even look at the wind direction... I just go.

6. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    As far as wind and wind direction goes, the fish that is my profile pic was caught here in middle TN during Hurricane Katrina last year. The winds were coming from all directions and were upwards of 40 MPH.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Shucks Jeremey, you didn't really catch that cat then. You walked out there and picked it up from the puddle that was left in the river. Kina cheating, don't you think? lol

8. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    Lawrence..................................I must admit you found me out:glare: LOL
    LOL. But how did you know??????????????????????????????????:confused: LOL

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I cant be picky anymore, I have to fish when I can..But I think there is something to that..I catch more fish during west, southwest winds.

10. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    Arlington..........now that I think about it there was a tag on that fish:confused: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What is the deal with this fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

11. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    has been predominantly from the east to southeast all year here, so though i still like sayin the lil poem, I think the only wind that really changes fishes feeding habits is that north wind.

12. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    The theory of bad fishing with a "Nor' Easter" comin in probably originated with the New England folks that fished for a living. North East winds usually indicate a cold front and "heavy seas." Hence the fishing wouldn't be "as good" as it normally was. Fish when you can, you will never catch a fish sitting in the living room on the couch watching T.V.

13. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Bout the only time I notice a negative from the wind, it's comin from the other end of the boat!

14. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    A friends of mine who fishes 100% for carp and is a big officer/member of CAG
    has always told me that try to fish with the wind in your face, the reason is thats the way the wind is blowing the water/waves and therefore pushing the food towards the shore, where my bait is !

15. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    steveg442

When the wind is blownin from the south at 30 mph plus its best to have on heavy weights and a small diameter line.

Hope this helps, lol (it happens)!

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I really believe that fishing is at its worst when the wind is from the east. Best when it's from the west or south.

17. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Wind from the West, fish bite the best.
    Wind from the East, fish bite the least.
    Wind from the North, do not go forth.
    Wind from the South blows bait in their mouth.

I guess those old sayings have some application especially when dealing with the winds from high and low pressure systems that may be affecting the barometer.

Personally, I have had good and bad days on all kinds of winds.

If I have five hours to fish, I make the most of it. Usually I can find some place that has a bite. Fishing from a boat makes this easier, but when bank fishing you are stuck with what you got.

Why do fish bite good in one place one day and not the next?? The truth is, no one knows. You can watch the pro's in the tournaments on TV give you all kinds of theories and ideas before they go out and in the end only a handful out of 50-100 anglers are in the ballpark.

Fishing is like hunting, the more time you put in the more chance at success you will have with the way you pursue your game.

18. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I don't really know if wind direction really matters, I like to go when ever I get the chance.

19. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't really pay any attention to the wind direction. As long as it's not blowing hard, i'll go fishin'.