Wind and fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by harper81, Apr 11, 2007.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Heading out to the local river tomorrow after work and looking at the weather its going to be mostly a nice day, (80 deg.) except its going to be windy. It is supposed to be 20+ mph tomorrow and I was just wondering what effect wind has on fish?

2. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    Being that warm it pobably won't affect the fish, but it will affect the fishing. Might be little more difficult to cast and keep your boat still, if you are going by boat,

3. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    A strong wind willblow all the baitfish against the shore or into the back of a cove. The fish might follow them shallow but with it being that warm I cant be to positive of that. Always liked at least a breeze to fish in though. Buts them shallow fish more at ease.

Dru

4. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Thanks for the info. We will just have to see what happens. And I don't have a boat, which sucks more and more each day, but the wind won't affect that part.

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I've never had much luck on really windy days, but that's just my experience. Althought I've met up with people who fished the same time I did and caught fish.

I guess it's a matter of finding where the fish are congregating.

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i fish a spot that i have got to have wind.its an arkansas caged fish hattchery ,bank fishing only,and the cages are about 100 yds. out.when the wind is out of the wsw i float a large skipjack out to cages.14 days 1 fish 55 lbs.so yes the wind can be your friend.bad wind in a boat misserable.i just stay home.

7. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i've had just plain right out horrible days fishing in the wind, won't do it, don't give a damn

8. Seems like when your fishing for cats on a windy spring day is when you don't catch any cats but the white bass and walleye will probably make up for it....

9. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Well here are the results. Its was quite windy. Everytime I stood up my chair would blow over. But it didn't seem to stop anything. Only one big guy, but we kept 8 2-4 lbers for a cookout.
    The one big fish the last one. We were getting ready to head home and my buddy got a bite. He set the hook and started dragging it in. We got it to the edge of the water and I reached down to grab the line to pull it in and snap. (Needless to say we are going to use bigger test or metal leaders from now on) So the fish is sitting on the edge of the water just out of reach. My buddy throws his pole on the ground and jumps in the river to get his fish. It was a hilarious site. We didn't have a scale, but it was probably around 15 lbs. Only caught one blue and all the rest were channel's. It seems blues don't really care for nightcrawlers, but the channels seem to love them.
    Anyway it was a good trip other then the wind and can't wait to eat them little guys.

10. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Great story, thanks for sharing. I have to agree, I have caught many many more channels on worms than blues.

11. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Wind bothers us a lot more then the fish.
    If you think about it. If a fish is under water he's not feeling the wind like we do.
    Some of my best days were high winds 20+ and not of the north..
    Pete

12. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Winds from the east, fish bite the least. Anyone tested this wive's tale? I don't pay too much attention to the direction of the wind. If the wind is out of the east, is that an idicator of a high pressure system? Would that be the more likely reason it may be true? Just a thought.