Winchester going under

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by DaveR, Jan 23, 2006.

1. DaveR

DaveR New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    If anyone was thinking about purchasing a new Winchester the time to buy is now. My father and I were at a local gun shop and the person behind the counter told us that they are closing their doors at the end of March. I wasn't looking to buy anything but couldn't put it off any longer so I bought to model 70 coyotes 1 in .223 and .22-250 and am planning on purchasing at least one more model 70. This is really bad for the cowboy action guys because the model 94s in traditional calibers are disappearing fast. I will post more info on the closing as I I find out more.

Dave

2. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I hope that winchester does not close the doors, they make some great rifles espically the Model 94 .30-.30

chris

3. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    o so so sad, next thing model 94 made in china, just not right, Colt and now Winchester, S&W next?

4. DaveR

DaveR New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Sadly its just not the 94s being scrapped. The letter from Winchester that I seen at the gun store said the only firearms that will still be produced after March will be high end shotguns and a completely new rifle that apparently nobody has even seen or heard of. I'm praying that hopefully somebody will purchase the New Haven factory along with the name and save the campany like what happened with S&W a few years back.

Dave

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    just heard that last night. they are continuing shotguns as i was told but the rifles are done.

6. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    The sad part of it all is. When the USA gun makers all bow out because of gun control lobby. They will ban the import of all guns. So effectively getting rid of all new guns. I hate to see winchester go out. I wonder will htey continue to make shotgun shells and rifle and pistol ammo?

7. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    No more model 94s. That is teh suck.

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Scroll up and read the article.It hasn't been an "American" company for a long time,only the name Winchester is still owned by the OLIN company.The plant is in the US but the owning company is Belgiun and note in the article the reason for its demise.The guns can be made in Belgium cheaper where labor is less well paid.The company has suffered severe financial loss and interestingly enough one of the reasons is people are still using their old Winchesters and not buying new ones.No mention of the gun control Nazis or the lawsuit problem which for the most part has been directed at Handgun manufacturers such as S&W,Colt etc.Not many banks robbed with 94s.I'm sure somebody will resurrect the company just as Bombardier saved Evinrude.All the ammunition will continue to be made as far as I can tell.On the bright side what this has done is just appreciated the value of every Winchester rifle out there.:) and I m sure the gun collectors will be drooling.Anybody got any pre 64 Model 70s???????

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    From what I heard, the employess were going to try 7 purchase the company & run it as an Employee Owened Company, much like TC is if I'm not mistaken. I once worked for an employee owned company & business was great, however even an "employee owned company" has to have a large financial partner, ours was Provident Bank. They decided to pull their backing (read: MONEY) & invest it somewhere other than a sporting good chain. The next day my company, All About Sports (OH, KY, IN) strarted planning on filing bankruptsy. It was sad & a real negative event.

10. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Hey Jim,
    Got a pre 64 220Swift.:D Had it since i was about 12yrs. old.
    Ernie

11. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Guess I will have to start looking at some of the gun shows they have coming through my state later this year for some lever action guns, can't afford any now.

12. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    I have called a few guns shops today,not many have mod 94's and don't know if they can get any.The ones they have are pricy;)

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Leaky you lucky dog.I'm not a winchester guy (Weatherby) but the 220 Swifts are some of the most sought after pre-64s depending on the model.You had better take good care of it.

14. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I bought a model 94 "Wrangler" Winchester in 44 mag a few years back its a awesome bush gun, I sure hate to hear of another Great American company go down the tubes,

15. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I told a friend about winchester going under and he went down to 'walmart and they just took one off lay"a way and he bought it for 279. I told him if it was me, I would want to save box receite and everything, And maybe not shoot it. Model 94 30/30 lever

16. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    China is going to take us over and never fire a shot...................

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I read an article in the paper last week about Winchester and what I got out of it is the name Winchester is a leased name.
    The company that is in the picture now may or may not get the Winchester name or they may just get the name for a year. But according to the article I read, it looked doubtful they would get it because they were manufacturing over seas.
    The name itself is worth alot of money to someone so we know we'll continue to see Winchesters being made only it will be a different company making them. The same thing has already been going on for years.
    It has been a name stamped on a rifle by whoever made it in the past.
    Again, this article was in last weeks News and Disturber in Raleigh, NC.
    Pretty positive it was Thursdays paper being it had alot of hunting and fishing articles in it.

I'm pretty sure by the worth of the name alone and the name has been leased for years , we'll see Winchester for a long time to come.

18. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    That is sad :sad: The gun maker is slimming down the company, which is all from sue crazy people trying to make a buck off someone shooting someone and blaming the gun maker for the death.:rolleyes: