Wilson's Landing

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by JAinSC, Aug 8, 2007.

1. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    My fishing buddy and I went to Wilson's last weekend for the "clam hatch" (when the little asiatic clams die off and float down the river), but no go! We only saw one or two clams. There were mullet in there, but they weren't eating clams off the surface (duh! no clams...)

We cast net a few mullet and used them for cut bait and fished about half a dozen spots and did not hook a single cat, not even a baby blue. We did see a couple of smaller blues caught up near the landing on the way in, but I prefer to fish down a bit, away form the crowd.

We did switch gears and cast spinners and probably ended up catching 75 or so sunfish (redbreast, bream, few stumpknockers, and one massive shellcracker). Not bad considering my buddy spent most of his time trying for bass (he got a couple of small ones - plus a couple bowfin and a gar on a spinnerbait).

We had a good day, but what happened to the clams? Was it not hot enough? Did they die off earlier and we missed it?

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I don't know, John. The water temps are pretty high. I haven't heard anyone talk about the die off near Harry's this year like I usually do, either, but I notice plenty of empty shells in the diversion canal yesterday. Maybe they died off a little early??? I'll be out downstream of where you guys were, later this morning and I'll check the water temps while I'm out. Would like to toss a cricket for some of those panfish, but the crickets sweat too much in this heat. :wink:

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I know a couple of weeks ago when we were camping on green island there were so many dead mussells and snails on the beach it stunk so bad and there were ants every where. I hope this helps.

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    water temp above wilson's landing: 30.8 C, (87+F.), D.O. 6.64
    Air temp: unbearable...... :wink:
    I did see a huge school of catfish 25+ lbs, but they were in the sanctuary; must have been at least 30 fish or more, right on the edge of the current break. :sad2:

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks guys. Looks like I missed them this year.