Wilson Dam skipjack

Discussion in 'LOCAL ALABAMA TALK' started by rwilley3, Nov 5, 2006.

1. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Any of you local guys(or anyone else) around Wilson know if you can still catch skipjack there? I was thinking of making another run maybe this weekend and try to get a few more before winter sets in. Thanks in advance

2. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    I caught some up river at wheeler week and hlaf ago. Im going to Wheeler Dam this Thursday. I'll post a report when I return. I hope we can still get some. I guess wilson would be abouth the same.

Craig

3. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Thanks a bunch. It looks like we may try to also get in a little catfishing up in the lake. Hope we can find some of those as well if they aren't still sore lipped from the Cabela's tournament a few weeks ago.:big_smile:

4. huntduck

huntduck New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Skips are not nearly as plentiful as they were earlier in the year.We went to Wheeler week b-4 last.I stopped by Wilson to catch my bait on the way up and to my disappointment they were gone.The usual 5 minute bait run was gone.This could have just been 1 bad day,but I go up at least once a month and 1st time to fail getting bait.Tried the net for a while after the sabakii rigs failed and did catch a few thread-fins.The bait of choice went to live bream which were no problem to catch on beetle spins.Fished lake points on the drop-offs 35-50 feet deep.We caught several over that weekend from 18-63#'s.The one in my avatar is just one of the brutes.Hope this helps.GOOD LUCK!!

5. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Thanks for that as well. So you caught those cats in Wheeler. We had even talked about going the extra distance to Wheeler to try for skippies because someone told us sometimes they were even more plentiful there than Wilson. With cats like those I would definitley drive on there to try for them and catfish if needed. I have never fished either lake and only been skipjacking once down at Wheeler. I mainly fish here on the MS River and all my time on the TN has been at Pickwick and north. We have been having no luck at all this year at Pickwick getting bait other than once or twice and we never got any decent ones here on old muddy.

6. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    Well I took the family to Wheeler Dam today since it was to be a nice day. And it was great weather sunny and warm. Now as far as the catch, we didnt do so well. My daughter caught about a 5 lb blue and my son a 2lb channel. Some folks were saying to go down river. We haven't fished much down river..since I don't know where and havent bought depth finder after mine took a swim. We did catch a few skipjacks on sabaki rigs. The shad seemed to still be running at the dam. We caught a couple dozen it two scoops of the net. See ya Craig

7. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    How were the skippies? Did they bite pretty good? I think we are going anyway but we would like to come back with a few for bait over the winter.

8. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    Roger, the skipjacks were hard to come by. I think in total we caught 5-6 but they were a good size 10-12 inches great for cut bait. There were some skipjacks and larger shad running around the dam walls. I didnt hang around in the flow from the dam much since it was running 2-4 turbines and rolling pretty good. The birds were chasing the shad and skipjacks near the elecrtical towers. Good Luck