Wilmore Dam

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by tbartek, Jun 3, 2008.

1. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Fished Wilmore dam for the first time this year with a buddy of mine. Caught six small bullheads and one keeper. Although my buddy used my stringer to hold his "keeper" bullhead and didn't tie it off well enough so there is a 13" bullhead swimming around wilmore dam trailing a 4' steel stringer.:angry: I did however manage to catch my first snapping turtle of the year. It was about 20" across the shell and madder than hell. Another lost hook:smile2: ,,, No channel cats biting yet.

2. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Hi Tim....You're from up my old neck of the woods. Grew up in Cresson and used to fish Wilmore all the time. Didn't do much catfishing back then but used to pound crappie in that place. The drive down used to be alot of fun too :)

3. tbartek

State:
    New Germany, PA
    I know what you mean about the drive Jeff. Believe me that road to the top end has only got worse:angry: I did pretty well there last year. Caught a lot of nice bullheads in the 13-14" range. Even caught a bowfin one night. The dam turtles drive me crazy though. The place must be crawling with them.

4. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Now the bowfin surprises me!! Glad to hear that you're doing alright and the dam is still producing. Was always a Very quiet and relaxing place to fish. Guess I was always happy the road was so rough for that reason alone, and figured it kept most people out....Although I heard that they opened up a road from Portage a few years back so that may have changed things a little. As for the turtles...Ever try turtle soup? LOL

5. bass&cats

bass&cats New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Iv been up to willmore a good bit this year. past two weeks I had a couple realy big ones on at the north end on 7-9 inch golden shiners. Last week I ended up catching 3 snapping turtles and some bass on the shiners.

6. tbartek

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Josh, the same night my buddy let my stringer swim away he also caught two largemouths on nightcrawlers. He was throwing out right at the end of the little floating dock they stuck in there.

7. bass&cats

bass&cats New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Ya there is a lot of bass there. 3 of my friends swiched to bass fishing and were pulling them out left and right. I couldnt stop catfishing though after haveing them realy big cats running with my bait. Its kinda hard to believe that I would get that many bites from big catfish down there but I dont think a bass would chew all the scales off of a big shiner.

8. tbartek

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Took my dad down to the lower end of the dam last night. After all the rain I wasn't gonna try to get into the upper end. Anyhow, my dad hasn't been out fishing this year yet and he caught the first two fish on the new rod and reel I gave him this year. Both were yellow bullheads, one 10" and one 12". He was happy. I only caught one bullhead around 9" long. The goofy thing wasn't very smart because he swallowed my hook and had two other snells hanging out of his mouth. After some minor surgery with the forceps I was able to get all three hooks out of his mouth. No other bites.

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sorry to hear about your "keeper" getting away. Good luck fishing in the future. Thanks for sharing

10. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I have to say this... All bullheads swallow the hook!!:tounge_out:

it actually takes a considerable amount of skill to avoid- gut hooking every itty bitty BH. congrats.
    jay

11. bass&cats

bass&cats New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I have been catching some nice 6 to 9 pounders at willmore during the spawn from boat. Fish the cliffs and other rocky structures and you might get into them. just constantly work you baits during the spawn lilke your bass fishing. cast black or purple worms over there nests. this has always worked for me during the spawn. just stay motivated and youll catch a couple big ones if they are still spawning.

12. munster05

munster05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I live near Wilmore, but never fished for catfish there. I know it is November, but has anyone had any luck there in the later months ?

13. tbartek

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Never tried this late in the year.