Willow Beach

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by sgpettit, Nov 5, 2007.

1. sgpettit

sgpettit New Member

State:
    AR
    Anybody know some good spots putting in the river at Willow Beach? I was catching them by drifting directly downstream from the spillway along th erock retainer wall. It is about 30 ft deep right off of the bank. Here lately though, I haven't caught much of anything there. Been using live shad.

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Sorry, I have not heard of Willow Beach. I hope to learn the river as opportunity arises.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Don't know of any good spots that far downriver toward Terry L&D, but if you lock through, there are supposed to be some good spots right below the dam. Can't say firsthand, because I've always fished up toward Murray or down toward Wrightsville & Tar Camp.

4. Grits

Grits New Member

State:
    Arknasas
    Hello Catfishermen

There is a ramp at Willow Beach. There is another ramp close to the Airport at a AGFC park. You can see the park from I440. You launch in the Fourche River right before it flows into the Arkansas. It is very close to Willow Beach. For me, being right next to the freeway, it is easier to get to.

There are a lot of ramps in pool 6. These are the ones I know of, Murry Park, Burns Park, two at I30 and Broadway, Willow Beach, and the Remmel Park by the Airport.

Grits

Grits

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've seen and wondered about that ramp into the Fouche, but I've been afraid to use it because of the neighborhood it's in. I live on the edge of the hood, but that ramp is definitely right in the middle of it. I don't want to even drive through the area after dark. Daytime is ok, so long as I remember to carry my little friend in my pocket. I've heard bad reports about the ramp at Wrightsville, but I've never had any trouble there, and never felt uncomfortable using it. I'm much more leery about the ramp into the Fouche. But I've got an open mind about it. If I hear from some BOC members that it's a safe ramp, I'm willing to give it a try.

6. Grits

Grits New Member

State:
    Arknasas
    I used the ramp by the airport one afternoon. The parking lot is visible from the freeway, whatever that is worth. I am not worried about me but I do not want my property stolen. I have a big friend with me all the time. There are a lot of meth labs, and what goes with it, around my grass farm. The world ain't safe as it use to be.

I will also report all my findings.

Grits

7. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    I have fished from the bank at Remmel park several times. But did not do much good. Always wanted to try upstream and downstream from a boat, but never have. i did talk to a guy back in the summer that has fished there most of his life. he said that you can't go but so far upstream because of a pipe across the creek. He also told me that even he will not launch and leave his vehicle there at night. There is not much trouble during the day, but at night they won't hesitate to do damage to your vehicle and belongings.

8. Grits

Grits New Member

State:
    Arknasas
    It things get much worse, we will be taking turns guarding each other while we sleep.

Grits

9. r_corter12

r_corter12 New Member

State:
    Carlisle,AR
    There are 2 ramps about 2 miles on down the road from willow beach at the lock.There both free , one is above the lock and one is below the lock.I useually fish below the lock.Several good holes in the area.Some rock dikes are right below the dam there good i fish above them.The rock dike that comes off between the lock and dam is also good anchor up anywhere along it on the dam side.Ive been fishing there for about 6 yrs never had any trouble with anything being bothered at night even all night besides i can see my truck some of the time from where im fishing, but i still pack heat everywhere i go.
    Even if i where going to fish willow beach or up river i would put in at the lock ramp on the upper side and motor up the ramps are in good shape and free willow beach is a pay area it only takes about 5 mins to motor to willow beach with my 25horse.

10. sgpettit

sgpettit New Member

State:
    AR
    I do not know the name, but I put in the same place as you are talking about. Where you have to drive around the bloackades going to the dam there is a upstream launch to the right and a downstream launch to left of the dam. I put in there and fish up and down the rock wall on the left side of the river, but only catch 3-4 pounders. I get lots of shad from those litlle cutout areas behind the wall. So you fish right there at the dam on the other side of that long rock dike? How much weight do you have to use right there? Do you get hung up a lot? What about when they let water out?

11. r_corter12

r_corter12 New Member

State:
    Carlisle,AR
    Ya the blockades werent there untill this year i think, dragracing was the reason for those i reakon.I know a few times we were down there we would be fishing and we could here them racing.

Well the weight depends on the river but if i need more than 3-4 oz ill fish an eddie.Normally i wont use more than 1-2 oz weights.I also will sometimes fish behind unopened gates on the dam were the water is eddied back up to the dam , i let the current carry my bait up to the dam.I move around alot if the fish arent biting i have a 30 minute max if the hole doesnt produce.I may not move 50 yrds or I may move across the river.I never throw big shad away i have caught my biggest fish on the heads of shad and also produce big numbers.The best night i ever had catfishing was with skipjack , i was guideing my cousin and his g-friend we had four poles in the water and couldnt go over a minute without cathing a fish.

Yes i always give the long dike coming off between the lock and dam a shot i only fish the dam side of it not the lock side.I also fish the first 2 dikes below the dam on the west side of the river i will anchor above them.

12. r_corter12

r_corter12 New Member

State:
    Carlisle,AR
    I hardly ever get hung up if i do i can 95% of the time straiten the hook or pull a sinker loose! I have 40 lb test big game on my reels. The hook leader is also 40 lb but i use 20 lb big game on my sinkers.I would rather loose a sinker ever now and then than the hook with a fish on it.