Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we have had discussions for and Against Paylakes and the not. I have heard the "it takes no skill" comments and all.

What I propose is to see if someone is willing to take me up on the offer.

I will trade a trip to a well maintained paylake for a trip out on the river.

If some wants the offer I will cover the cost of fishing at the Lake and Will make sure we have plenty of Bait for the evening. I would prefer it to be a friday night or saturday night trip as I like night fishing and I work during the week.

Now the person that accepts this would in return cover me on a Boat Trip on the river fishing for the River Cats.

Only thing I ask is that the person comes along with an open mind.

Vince

·
Registered
757 Posts
I am glad to see you arent giving up...sorry man but im afraid the people on this forum are a little too stubborn. If you are lucky someone will pm you but no one is going to respond to this thread the way you want for fear of being bashed lol sorry i also think you are barking up the wrong tree....

·
Registered
645 Posts
Explain why. I give it more credence than setting limb lines, setting trot lines, or Snaggin Spoonbill or Salmon.
I like my fishing trips to be like mini adventures. Short hike thru the woods to get to a desired spot, settin up camp, absolute dark with noone fishin near me for miles. NOt sittin elbow to elbow with a bunch of people tryin to win money out of a punchbowl. Sorry man. That doesn't sound like a fair trade

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I don't think paylake fishing is easy, it takes a skill set like anything else to be good at it. The thing is that paylake fishing techniques have pretty much nothing to do with river techniques.

So the trade thing doesn't really work. If someone takes you out on the boat finding where the fish are and the spots are the hard part, not just getting the line in the water. I guess you could say you told them to throw right at the bubbler or something but it is just not the same thing.

I would just have a much easier time buying all the crap if people were not there at the paylakes with their cash in the jars waiting to make some money. Show me a group of people that fish paylakes all the time and are passionate about it and don't enter the slots and maybe you can convince someone.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Vince I am sure your a good dude, but the last thing I would want to do is take any die hard paylaker supporter out to any good fishing areas on the river, for fear that there would be a hoop net sitting there within a week, I didnt say it was true, just that its a fear mine..

Example; I was at a local ramp the other day just checking out the damage from the high water, I was with my 4 year old son, and we were shooting the bull with an older gentlman probably in his early 60's. He seemed easy going enough, when I told him about the 55lb blue we caught 2 nights prior, the first words out of his mouth were "Man you should have taken that fish and sold it to one of these paylakes"...I couldnt believe it, the only guy there, and he drops that one on me...I just will never have an open mind about paylakes Vince for reasons like that, regardless of if you believe the ones you frequent are respectable or not, there all the same to me man...

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey TBull I understand that totally. Keep in mind that yes I do fish them, but I am also against some. For instance near Rocky Fork Lake there is a Lake that is planning to open in a few weeks. All the fish he has gotten himself running lines in the Scioto river. I do not approve of him or his methods. He should be shut down before he opens!!!

On the note of the fair trip. The money is not an issue I was just offereing to pay the ticket price. On the exchange side I would be willing to bring bait and split cost of fuel. I know where alot of the River Holes are. Not saying I know them all but I know many. I also know if I seen a commerical fishing truck putting in on the Ohio side of the river that would be illegal since you can not commercially fish in the Ohio.

It seems the biggest problem with the postings is that Everything is grouped together. I think that those on here that claim all lakes are stealing fish they should take a step back and see that it is not all the Lakes. You have several that actually tarnish the name of all.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hey TBull I understand that totally. Keep in mind that yes I do fish them, but I am also against some. For instance near Rocky Fork Lake there is a Lake that is planning to open in a few weeks. All the fish he has gotten himself running lines in the Scioto river. I do not approve of him or his methods. He should be shut down before he opens!!!

On the note of the fair trip. The money is not an issue I was just offereing to pay the ticket price. On the exchange side I would be willing to bring bait and split cost of fuel. I know where alot of the River Holes are. Not saying I know them all but I know many. I also know if I seen a commerical fishing truck putting in on the Ohio side of the river that would be illegal since you can not commercially fish in the Ohio.

It seems the biggest problem with the postings is that Everything is grouped together. I think that those on here that claim all lakes are stealing fish they should take a step back and see that it is not all the Lakes. You have several that actually tarnish the name of all.
The fish in your avatar. Was that farm raised in Ohio?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My answer would be no. But I would also say I do not believe that fish came out of the Ohio river or any water in the state of ohio either.

But I do not think you are actually willing to read anything I type. You have been told what to think, therefore all you see is my avatar picture.

·
Registered
645 Posts
My answer would be no. But I would also say I do not believe that fish came out of the Ohio river or any water in the state of ohio either.

But I do not think you are actually willing to read anything I type. You have been told what to think, therefore all you see is my avatar picture.
its true. I am a follower. I dont do anything unless its ok with my handlers

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I respect the fact that you are trying to get your point across, I guess my main question is if you know holes on the river, and how to fish the river, why paylake? Is it because you do not have a boat, or any friends with boats? If that is the case I guess I could understand, that being said you could still bank fish the river. But I do get the fact your chances of catching a big fish are not the same on any given bank spot as they are on in a pay pond.

But man, you or nobody else will ever convince me to go into a pay pond with an "open mind". I dont just fish the rivers and large lakes just because they arent pay ponds, its because having to out smart fish in their natural habitat, and use all of the knowledge you have to a certain point is much more rewarding. To me a pay pond with be like sectioning off a section of river, and putting up boundries so that the fish cannot escape, and getting excited when you catch them??? I just dont get it I guess, but to each his own.

The chances of catching a trophy each time out on the river is unlikley, your chances of catching a large fish each trip out is more likely at a pay lake, but whats the reward? I guess I am trying to understand what the draw is? If you know the river, why not fish the river? Fish in a pay pond have already been caught for you, where is the reward bro? Not trying to get into a pissing match, I am really just curious?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.