Williamstown Lake

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Ky_Katter91, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    It's a local lake that I've heard about quite often... not fished it very much though. I've heard its pretty common to pull out flats up to 40lbs+ with the occasional topping 50-60 lbs.
    When I did fish it for flatheads i didn't get a single bite, and the only catfish ive caught out of there period were small channels ranging from 15-20".
    I was just wondering if anyone has fished this lake or has any knowledge of it at all.. maybe you just have to have a boat to hit the "honey holes" for the big boys... I dont know.

2. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Anybody?

3. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I live about 30 miles from there used to fish it alot. I have seen a few flatheads around 30 lbs but nothing bigger. They stock it for channels. Its a small lake with no Horsepower limit it gets pretty dangerous on weekends. I think its no wake after dark now. It does get a lot of fishing pressure.....Abu65

4. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Thanks man. Really appreciate that.

5. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I fish there some and have caught flats up to 30 pounds.I dont no any good spots that can be reached from bank.Fished there last night caught 4 flats all around 8 to 10 pounds. YOU HAVE TO WATCH OTHER BOATERS THEY GET A LITTLE WILD THERE DURING DAYLIGHT HOURS.

6. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Yeah, I ended up going there tonight instead of the river.
    No luck at all using big ole gills. I fished over by Ruby's boat dock by a cove, I found a few sharp drop offs that I hit, and well, after a long night of fishing I'm home unsuccessful, but it was sure nice to get out and wet a line.

7. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I usually fish 20 feet or less not had must luck in deep water because of thermocline is around 15 0r 20 feet.

8. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Thanks Steven, I'll keep that in mind. That lake has to have some monster fish in it. It's so old, and it's relatively big. I've heard "stories" of fish in the 50s and 60s caught from there, but never any proof, and it's always been from people that well, you just never know what to believe if you know what im saying.

9. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Thinking abou heading out here again tonight, providing it doesnt storm... hoping i get my biggun tonight!

10. kycatter

kycatter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Good luck buddy. Be sure to come back with a report.

11. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Alright man. Hopefully it'll be a GOOOOOOD REPORT!

12. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Good luck! :big_smile:

13. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    So it's a disappointing report, lol. But at least I got to get out again...
    Used big live creek chubs (8-11" or so) and those glowing night crawlers. The chubs wouldn't stay alive. And the most that happened with the crawlers was a few pecks here and there by a few fish too small to fit the whole bait in their mouth.
    Had a few smaller chubs too that were probably around 4-6", tried a few of them, and nothing. Even took the chubs that were dying and cut them up, nothing.
    I did go to Steak-n-Shake afterwards and that seemed to make it all worthwhile.
    I think I'll be going to Boltz Lake this weekend just to catch a fish, I've ALWAYS been able to at least get a few runs down there. And I've caught a couple blues upwards of 10# on live chubs there.

14. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Let us know how it goes at Bolt .Do you ever fish at A j Jolly or Bullock Pen ?

15. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    I get most of my bait from Bullock Penn, down there at Reynolds Boat dock, when I cant go catch my own bait.
    I fish there occasionally. There's a lot of pictures of guys with 15+ # blues caught out of there, and the guy running the bait shop said hes heard of fish in the 40s caught out of there and I believe 'em, he's a good guy.

16. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My last trip was a bust also.:sad2:

17. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Well I went to Boltz last night. Took a bunch of nice creek chubs, a couple goldies, and some shrimp down there. As soon as you'd put the rod down that had the shrimp on they'd make a run and drop it.
    Did this for about an hour so I rigged up my ultra-light with a float...
    Same thing and caught about an 8 inch channel.
    My buddy did the same thing and caught one about the same size so that kinda made sense as to why they werent staying with the runs.
    About midnight I had a great run on a 6 inch creek chub.. Picked up the rod- set the hook, thought I had a decent fish for a second, and then I drug it in- 16 inch channel :confused2:.
    I couldn't believe that little guy ate that chub. And being that he ate my 89 cent bait fish.. he got filleted last night:big_smile:. Just stocking up for a fish fry now.

18. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    a few williamstown flats

Attached Files:

19. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Wow them are some nice ones. The one in the middle of the other two flats especially looks like a hawg. Nice fish though man. I hope to lay into a few like that down there before the summer's over.

20. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Live bluegill and sometimes cut ones work there for me.Good luck.
    Last night i went to Ky river caught 4 the biggest was 23 pound.