Will this work?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Clovis, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    So I went to the store to get some three way swivels, but they didn't have any.

So will this work instead?

Attached Files:

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I wouldn't do that. Instead thread a swivel on your line, then a bead and then tie on a swivel to the end. Double barrel swivel rig.

3. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    Not sure what you want it to do! Seriously though, it looks like it might tangle a bit more than a standard 3-way. Watch out for those link-swivels as well. I have that style pop open under load with northerns and wels. At least that's my experience.

:smile2:

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Doug has the right idea here. I have used the method he is talking about for a good while now (off and on) and it works great.
    The only difference in the way I do it and he does it is, I use a snap swivle for the weight and it lets me take the weight off of the line to change the weight size and protect my rods durring transport. Not only does it work as a three-way rig, it also doubles as a slip-rig as well. Kinda like a carolina rig with the weight extended down to the bottom, keeping the bait off the bottom.
    I always use a lighter line on the weight so, if the weight gets snagged I will at least get the business end of the rig back.

5. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    JW, I tie a loop in the end of my sinker dropper so I can remove the sinkers. Don't need a 12oz weight banging around on the rod blank!

6. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Clovis,Dougc gave You the Right Scoop on the double swivel setup it will be a much better and stronger setup than the snap swiel set up You posted.Spanish also gave you some Good advice about the snap swivels because if You tie into a larger fish that will be the weakest link in Your terminal tackle setup. Very Good question though.I sometimes forget that there is NO Dumb Question. the Knowlege I have gained has come over some 55 years of fishing, and Boy hae I made some Stupid mistakes! Not only in fishing but life in general.So if You ever have Any Questions about Fishing or most anything else You have a whole wealth of information here at the BOC.and some Fine Folks that will Help figer it out OK.Now Go Catch that Monster Catfish.Your Friend and BOCBrother.J.D.
    :0a26:

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Yes,I couldn't agree more, but I take it one step further!!!
    Here is a diagram of what I use:

8. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Thanks for putting up a picture to show the guys how it works!

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    JW and Doug, Might be on to something. I have alway use a three way swivel and do pettry good. I use a lighter sinker leader, and a 20 lb hook leader.

10. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I'm kinda liking JW's snap swivel idea-If the weight's hung up on the bottom, probably takes less pressure to pull the snap open as opposed to breaking your line!

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I always use 40lb mainline, 80lb leader and, 17lb drop line for the weight. This way the drop line will break and you will get the leader and hook back.

12. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I'll run 30lb on all my reels for the main line, 40lb for the leader and 20lb for the sinker dropper. All Trilene Big Game.

13. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    What is the reason behind a heavier leader than main line?

Abrassion resistance?

14. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    You go to the trouble of buying expensive mainlines so, why not let it do it's job.
    If you put a leader on that is under the mainline size, you are essentually fighting the fish with lighter line than you have on your reel. Like taking a knife to a gunfight, LOL!!! If I loose a fish because my mainline breaks, so be it. But I will do everything in my power to get him in on the best possible rig I can muster up.
    Your leader is the most important pat of the equasion... It is the part that takes all the abuse (takes the brunt of the battle so to speak). Bigger catfish have very abrasive plates in their mouths and I for one don't want them to have the chance to chew through my leader and break free.

15. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    John smacked the nail right on the head. Using a leader lighter than the mainline goes against my logic (unless you're worried about losing a lead sinker and swivel). My leader is a fair amount heavier than my mainline - because I need to use the full potential of my line without worrying about abrasion from the cat's pads... :smile2:

16. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    So the short answer is yes, more abrasion resistant.

I just spooled my new rod with 50lb braid. My current leaders are 30 lb mono. and I think I have some 12 lb mono I can use for the weight drops.

That is all I got right now so it will have to work till I can change it.

Is 12 lb o.k. with 4oz of lead?

Should I just use the braid for leader also instead of the 30lb mono?

Palomar knots work ok with braid? They seemed to cinch down tight.

I'm still a beginer.

Thanks,
    Steve

17. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky

Is 12 lb o.k. with 4oz of lead? Yes, it should be ok for 4oz.

Should I just use the braid for leader also instead of the 30lb mono? No, Most braids require a mono leader as a shock absorber. Read the reccomendations of the manufacturer!
    Make sure you get some heavier leader line ASAP. If you hook into a big one and loose it because you leader broke, you will be really upset that you didn't!!! I always try to go at least 20lbs over what my mainline is!!!

Palomar knots work ok with braid? Yes, most braids will work with that knot.

I'm still a beginer. Don't feel bad, we all were at on time or another. You will do just fine Brother!!!