will this work?

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by FATDAD, Sep 14, 2009.

1. FATDAD

FATDAD New Member

State:
    Mount Sterling,
    i want to build a wire cage and keep chubs and gills in the creek beside my house. if it will i think it would be a lot less hassle than a bait tank. probably would be in cage less than a week at a time.. thanks:big_smile:

2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Should be fine as long you ya keep the sharp edges out of the inside so they dont get bored and impale themselves lol

3. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    As long as the creek doesn't dry up.

I've known guys that had a large cage they kept in their pond, complete with a crane type arm and a winch. When they'd fish fish the pond, they'd put bream in the cage, but were careful not to overcrowd it. They had an automatic feeder that would feed the cage everyday and surrounding area every day. Whenever they wanted some to eat, they'd go winch the cage up, swing the arm around, get whatever fish out they wanted, and put it back in the water.

4. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Number 1,find out the legalities in your state of doing this,then if okay a it should be a snap to build one and place it in a spot where it won't get pounded by debris like weeds and sticks/logs washing downstream,but with good water flow to keep your bait well oxygenated and cool,use a cage material that won't rust out and keep it tied up so a sudden flood doesn't lose it for you. keep it heavy duty enough to thwart raccoons,mink,otter and turtles who will help thenselves if given the chance,I keep mine in a tank in my garage all summer with airators and pumps,the two legged varmits can't leave nothing alone around here so a bait cage would be stole to quick!