Will This work?

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Rusty, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    I am the kind of guy that would rather spend 100.00 bucks and build it myself then spend 50.00 and buy one already built. I was wanting a driving light on the front of my boat and was wanting to make it adjustable from the rear. Can a guy take a pickup rear view mirror and use the motor and pivoting points and replace the mirror with a small head light and make it work? Is the motor in the mirror heavy enough to turn the light? What do you all think?

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    RUSTY USE lED'S AND i THINK IT WILL WORK...OOPS sorry caps lock!

3. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Personally, I dont think so. The mirror motors on my Dodge are pretty small (smaller than a C cell battery) and the gearing is plastic and dont look very sturdy. I assume that they are all made pretty much the same way. Anyhow, good luck if you go ahead and try it.

4. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Sure it would Rusty. But your movement will be limited. Just can't use to big of an lamp, the nylon gears in the mirror wont handle alot. It will try to slip.

Good Idea. :wink:

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    If you have a local police garage or city maintenance shed, etc., you might be able to get one of the old alley lights from an old or wrecked cruiser ? that should work good:roll_eyes:

6. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    I may have to go with a fog light (led) may be a little smaller and lighter light. I do way to much Dreaming on this kind of thing. Thanks Guys for the info. I will try it and it will work I bet . Just don't know how long. LOL... I may have to recenter the light to make the balance better.( easer for the Little motor to move). Any more Info ???

7. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    I thought about that. just don't want that long rod running the length of the boat, or did you have another idea?? Thanks for the idea!!!

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Just put the better half on the bow :eek:oooh:.let her move light back and forth.:smile2:
    Should work just fine.Right Claudia??? JK.

9. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Thanks Berry! I have looked at a few different ones and like you I believe that the motor is really light but this is what I like doing (Make it work) I can spend hours trying to figure this stuff out. LOL. just nuts I guess. LOL...I have stuff stacked along the wall in the shop that didn't work but, I have came up with Ideas to use on other Ideas I have. LOL... Just killing time I guess Keeps me out of the Bosses hair..(wife)

10. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    John I tried that . She is always pointing a different direction then I am looking. LOL...

11. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    I am just going to use this for a driving light so I don't think the limited movement will hurt me. I have a hand held for everything else. I may have to find a brass gears to replace the plastic ones. I can make this thing work just may take me a year or two. LOL Thanks...

12. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Lordy lordy ain't that the truth. Sure is with my fishin' buddy.

13. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    If anyone can figure it out it will be you.

14. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    What about an old foot control from a trolling motor? The cables should work better than the little electric motor. Just a thought from a old tinkerer. Cuda

15. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    I guess I am a little confused. how will that help me with the motor or are you talking about just the control of the motor?

16. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Man, you sure know how to pick a DIY project!

Remote-controlled, motorized spotlight? Thats one item I think would be easier to just buy.

GoLights are great items, some even plug right into your nav light socket and include Nav lights on the stem. These are already remote-controlled with either dash mount or handheld or Both remotes included. No wires to run at all if plugged into the nav light socket. And they are BRIGHT!

But if you just like to tinker I suppose you could engineer something robotic with a few hundred hours of R&D.

Good luck, post some pics.

17. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Well Skip like I sad earlier I would rather do it myself. I don't know why just do. there is very little on my boat that is factory. some ppl think it looks like junk but it is my Idea and I built it and it works for me. Thanks for the Idea and I may have to do it that way, Maybe when we meet again in May we can do a little fishing together this time.

18. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Wasn't trying to knock your ingenuity. I like to tinker also and do things a bit different when possible. I just can't figure out how I'd go about this one. I'm sure you can. Good Luck.

How about a windshield wiper motor so it scans back and forth along your path????? Course that wouldn't leave you the abilty to shine something for a closer look, just thinking out loud. Thinking poorly but just thinking.:smile2:

19. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Now thats what I need Skip. Ideas. I didn't think you were trying to do any of the sort Skip. Just trying to explain whay I do it this way. Thanks for the Idea. I may change the little cheep motor out of the Mirror with a heaver windshild wiper motor. This is how my mind works.

20. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    At the very least you would need a synchro/servo type motor. Once you introduce the 'error' voltage the motor turns until it finds the null again. Might start investigating that sort of setup. Might be some cheap hobby motors of that sort or an electronics salvage place. Gateway Electronics here in St. louis has all sorts of stuff in their bins. They have a website but there is a TON more stuff in their shop than they show on the web. They are pretty much geeks there and can give you some ideas also.