will this work for catfish bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by nitemare_63, Jan 8, 2009.

1. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I am wanting to use some cut bait this next year and i heard that bluegill are great bait live and cut well i want to use them as cut bait but my problem is that there is this little pond i know about that is supper great at bluegill fishing and i want to go and catch alot of them to use at a later date for catfishing. Will they still be good bait if i freeze them and then thaw out before i go fishing then once i get there cut them up??? or will freezing them take away from their smell if i thaw them?? if anyone has any other suggestions on how to store them then do tell.

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Fresh bait is always better. However, I keep frozen bait and use it when I don't have time to catch fresh bait when I want to go. I still catch cats on it. I took around a dozen bags of frozen shad from the fall before to the James River last spring and caught blues on it. Yes, I used fresh shad down there as well, but to catch fish it will work. To go after, and try to catch the best fish in that area your fishing... I suggest fresh! Hope this helps some..:wink: rollo

3. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I agree with rollo on this one. Fresh is always better than frozen, but frozen will catch fish. I freeze bream, gizzard shad, and buffalo. The key is to keep them dry, keep them in a ziplock bag and dont use water to freeze them in. If you do, they will be mushy when you thaw them out. Bream are really easy to keep alive also, they will keep in an aerated 5 gallon bucket with no filters for a week or more if the temperature is not too high. Another option I use is I have perch traps in my pond, whenever I need fresh bait I will go pull a dozen or so of those out. The traps work well, and they will stay alive in them indefinately, I have gone up to 2 weeks without checking mine. There are really easy plans on how to build a perch trap in the member library.

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    ive always caught fish on cut bait that ive frozen you should be fine,freash is better but frozen works.If i use bluegill heads i use that were frozen sometimes i shove a dough bait or dip bait in its mouth just to get the cats interested,seems to work pretty well.

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I agree with Rollo.. the fresher the better but I still freeze shad in the fall cause earley spring round here they are hard sometimes impossible to get...If there hungry and yo dangle it right they will take it though!

6. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    thanks for the advice guys lots of help.. i plan on catching the bluegills in the srping and then use them for cut bait later in summer or whever the river is good for fishing so could i just put them in a ziplock bag and put them in the frig?????? or will that not be enough to keep them good?????

7. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I agree with Rollo.. the fresher the better . You could get a tote or cooler or fish tank or trash can so on and so on , and put in an air supply and keep them in the garage or on back porch or where ever . Then you have fresh gill . The wife has a little 8x10 fountain pond in the front yard i keep bluegill in it , lol .

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah put them in a ziplock freezer bag and make sure you get the air out and it should be fine, i do it all the time.

9. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I use fresh cut and live bait when possible, it is easy to keep bait alive for up to a week with an aeration system in an ice chest. I always take frozen cut bait when I leave to fish. I don't want to get to the lake and not be able to fish because I didn't catch enough bait. You can always use the frozen for chum. I use lots of frozen cut carp. One big carp makes a lot of good bait. There are two excellent articles on preparing cut bait to freeze in the library. I use the instructions found there, and don't worry for a second the bait won't work. 90% of the time it is just easier to go to the freezer and get the bait out. I do much better on cut (fresh or frozen) than any other bait I've tried except live. I love live blue gill for channel cat. When you have time catch your bait, but keep some in the freezer for the times you need it.

10. bobcat2000

bobcat2000 New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    when u freeze the fish, freeze them in water ,it keeps them fresher and they dont fall apart as much

11. bobcat2000

bobcat2000 New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    i use corn meal too when freezing fish and catoaba worms

12. rhuffman

rhuffman New Member

State:
    pa
    I freeze a lot of my cut bait and reuse it but I would rather use fresh. Catch some on frozen but more on fresh. I just hate to kill them and not use them. bad karma

13. catmster85

catmster85 New Member

State:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Yep, the fresher the better. Cut bait works better in early spring time from my experience. Once the water warms up though I've found that live is the way to go.

14. massa_blake

massa_blake New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have never had a problem with frozen but fresh has always been more productive for me.

15. REBELYELL1861

REBELYELL1861 New Member

State:
    TX
    WHY FREEZE WHEN FRESH IS OUT THERE

I MEAN ILL HUNTDOWN THE BAIT EVERY TRIP,

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS NOT BEING ABLE TO FIND BAIT. SOMETIMES U JUST GOTTA KEEP TRYIN,

BUY AN ULTRA LITE ROD SOME WORMS AND FISH FOR BAIT USSUALLY WORKS PRETTY WELL

16. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I'm not a big fan of frozen bait and I tend to catch my bait where I fish. Fish with what they're used to eating is what I like to do.