Will this rig work???

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by IrishO'Brady, Oct 19, 2006.

1. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    I have been using 3-way rigs for a long time, and had an idea the other day (sure its not original, just new to me)
    What if I tied a 3-way with a line out to a hook, then dropped it down to another 3 way with a hook line out, about 4-7 ft lower, and had the weight on the bottom of it? I think this could really have a positive effect by having two baits at two seperate depths, one about 1-3 feet off the bottom, one at 5-10 feet off bottom.
    The only drawbacks I can see are:

There could be --more twist ups (BTW Im not casting this rig im dropping it into current with a 4 oz bank sinker)

It could be -- more difficult ( not too much) to get a fish landed if its on the bottom rig

Possibility of -- having two big fish get on at one time (wheew thatd be ugly)

Has anybody ever tried this? Has anyone ever laughed @ and watched a dummy like me try this?
    Let me know what you guys think
    Thanks-
    Chris

2. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i have never tried it it but it seems like a good idea.:cool2:

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Phil King uses this rig effectively, not sure how it would work in heavy current though.

4. Muddler

Muddler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Irish, why not substitute a dropper loop for the top three-way? You could put a short leader to the dropper loop or even just make a long enough loop and do a loop-to-loop connection with the hook, assuming the eye is big enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dropper_loop

I use dropper loops all the time for "on-the-spot" loops.

5. shuorc

shuorc New Member

State:
    fl
    I've used the 'double bottom' rig, like Muddler's post, for grouper fishing for over 20 years and love it. mine are only 18" apart and the 'drop' about 15" but you can make them like you want, make sure to wet the knot and pull it tight, sometimes a big fish will 'work on' the knot so test a few at home. --shu

6. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    that a great idea, im just worried about line twist up from tieing to a drop loop- or using a swivel, but in that case a 3 way would almost seem easier. Still worth investigating tho, thanks guys

7. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    They showed a rig like that in one of the In-Fisherman magazines that the guy was using for trolling for cats.

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Catfishing is wide open for experimentation. I try new stuff every year, things I read about in other types of fishing I try to see if I can use it for catfishing. Every now and then I even come up with something on my own. You for sure won't know if it'll work till you try it. So go for it.

9. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    worst case secnerio you lose a couple of fish on it, but then re rig and you know where they are at :D

10. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Phil King-He uses it on the Tennessee River-run reservoirs that he's one of the masters on down there. Fishing 50-100ft deep!!?!!

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chris sounds like that rig could work. Good idea. Give it a try and keep us posted on the results. :cool2:

12. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    I fish on Tenn. River run reservoirs in 50 -80 ft of water heh :lol:
    so maybe it might work- I was think of doing something like:

two rods in rod holders with " double 3 way rig" set a foot off the bottom to avoid hang ups (circle hooks)

Then have my two guys fishing with me holding rods while they drift- regular 3 way rigs

In theory it will produce a good bit of fish, I think I'm going to try this tactic Sunday, Im taking my great uncle and his son-in-law out

13. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    The more bait in the water the better!!! Kinda like chummin" with hooks in it..LOL:cool2: