Will the rivers down here ever get back to 'normal'?

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by Fivebraids, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Man, all this rain recently sure has made a mess of the rivers down here! I know we can sure use the rain...but sheesh!

Denise and I decided we HAD to get some fishing in this weekend, so we started looking at the river conditions: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/alr/ahps/ahps_RVFGA.htm. See all those pretty colors, reds, oranges, pinks? Those are FLOODS!

We're used to 1-3 foot of water at our ramp on the Altamaha. Yesterday, that ramp was under almost FIFTEEN foot of water! Nope, ain't going there!

We decided we'd try the Savannah River, since it's not quite as flooded. I guess "not quite as flooded" is a relative term. When we got to the ramp we use, we couldn't believe what we saw! The river was way higher than we've ever seen it, and the current was SCREAMING fast! Seeing the river condition, I was a little reluctant to get out in it, but we both wanted to fish real bad, so we went for it.

We didn't have the best day of fishing, boating only one 2-3lb channel (and one really angry eel). But at least we were out on the water! Between the raging current and the wind, our biggest challenge was finding a way to anchor and keep the boat steady enough to fish. I don't know that I've ever seen the sort of swirling angry water we dealt with yesterday.

Hmm, maybe we need to talk to some of you folks in SC and get some pointers on Santee until our river calms down...:0a35:

At least we tried...
    - Marty -

2. CATCHARMER

CATCHARMER New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    WHAT IS NORMAL ANYMORE? NONE OF THE RIVERS HERE IN MACON ARE AT THE LEVELS THEY WERE ONCE AT. THEY SEEM TO BE LOW AND THEN THE RAINS HIT AND THEN THEY FLOOD.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Chattahoochee river looks great in the Columbus area. I sure wish I could be on it right now.

4. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    hopefully it stabelizes before here soon......it's raining pretty steady up here on oconee right now......coming your way....

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    That's Ga for you.:wink: Not long ago that state was trying to steal water from the Tn river.:embarassed: Now there getting way to much. Just think its flushing out the rivers, then the fishing will be so much better.
    Ours has been high also, But look forward to water this time of year. Its cleans the rivers out. make the fishing 300% better after its settles down.
    Glad you got out and was able to fish some .
    Pete