Will Power Pro damage my rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by HARVRAD2003, Mar 4, 2007.

1. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I have 2 Tiger Ugly Sticks and 1 Ugly Stick Boat rod and I was wondering if power pro line would damage these rods, I heard that it would cut into the cheaper rods---didn't want to damage these rods and have to go buy others to replace them, THANKS.

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I usually don't buy expensive rods. I have used 100lb Power pro on about 8 rods for 2 years fishing 2x week 7mos per year. No problems yet.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would think your more apt to damage the reels. Picture this scene... you get snagged... pull on the line to break loose... 100 lb test line... your spool bends. Bad reel. I like the smaller line so I can at least break it off when I'm snagged. How do you guys that fish such heavy line do it? Do you have to cut the line or are you all so darn good you just don't snag in the first place?

4. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    YA, the most I've ever fished with is 30 lb. big game line, and I usually get snagged at least once while fishing even if the lake is sandy bottom and nothing to snag on I will find away. I thought since I bought it that I'd at least put it on my PENN 320 GT2'S and keep them around when I move to Bloomsburg PA. this Summer, I figure that I probably might use them in the river. I know that alot of folks use a leader of considerable strength with these so that snaggs are alot easier to break, so I figure I'll either use 30 or 40 lb. big game as my leader and backing. I think if I buy anymore Power Pro it'll be the 50 or 65 lb. stuff instead of the 100 lb. line, I'm sure when all I've caught so far is 8 lb. cat that it'd be kind of crazy to fish with it for just Channels, I've got my 7000c3's filled with 30 lb. line for that and I think that is probably over doing it.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    when i get snaged i dont pull with the reel i use 65# pp on a few reels and i usually have a homemade pole holder made out of a dowl rod that i wrap the line around n pull

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Know what you mean. I have a little broom handle I wrap the line around several times. I only fish with a max of 20lb test, so when I snag up I usually pull the boat to a position directly over the snag, then make it stand on its end a little bit until I can get the blankety blank line to break - usually at a knot.

7. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I use power pro on a few rods with no problems of damaging the rod and they are Ugly Stik Tiger rods with ABU7000C3's on them. I also rap the line around a piece of wood like has been mentioned on here or the net handle when snagged up and I have wrapt it around a cleat on the boat to pull it loose with higher pound test line. I normally use 50# power pro and big game depending on where I'm fishing.

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    What you have to watch is the rods with the cheap eyes it may cut grooves in the eyes.

9. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Thanks for all the advise, I do have some cheaper rods that I bought at bass pro 7 or 8 yrs. ago that are rated for high test line and are good rods, I might go ahead and use them.

10. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    About all I use is prower pro I have never had any problems with it:big_smile:

11. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    First of all, I fish a LOT...

Last year was the first year I used Power Pro, but so far it has done less damage to eyelets than mono did.

I had a couple of rods that I had to replace eyelets on after one year of mono use, but with the Power Pro I have yet to see any damage.

12. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    I have been using PP on the same rods for over 2 years now with no sign of ware at all. I also have Aluminum Oxide Guides. Dont know how Fuji Guides would hold up though.

13. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Most of my rods have ceramic inserts and havent had any problems in the 4yrs I have been using only power pro.

14. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    hardaloy (aluminum oxide)
    alcanite

silicon carbide

braid friendly materials for guides

15. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    The bass pro site says that the Tiger Ugly Sticks have heavy-duty chrome-plated stainless steel double-footed guides. I know alot of individuals here use the Tigers with power pro with no problem, and if it does will it usually only bother the tip of the rod---if so are they hard to change out?

16. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    no problem man. trill and eror

17. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Randy You are correct that the tip is where you will see the wear, and tips are easy to replace. I've got a 3 year old MH Tiger that has a noticable groove forming after being used mostly with Power Pro. I'll replace the tip this year, and anticipate heating the tip to remove it, take the tip into the local Cabelas and find a replacement with a similar inner diameter, then reattach with hot melt glue. It should be no big deal. I'll probably replace the tip with one that has aluminum alloy inserts.

18. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    U might wont to add some ceramic inserts to ur guides, cause the braided line get bad rap about damageing guides.

19. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    Yes braided line like power pro, or spider wire could definately damage your end eye, but the only times, and there are many times this has happened to myself, was on my bass rod and reel when I go on vacation for a week. I almost exclusively cast when fishing, and when you cast 100 times an hour and you fish 6 hours a day most definately it will wear a groove in even ceramic eyes. I've seen it in a weeks worth of fishing for pike in Minnesota. The good thing is like has been said on this thread. That end eye is a cheap replacement. Go to walmart they have a kit for about five bucks with three different size ceramic eyes and the glue with directions. It reallly is a piece of cake. Good Luck on the water!!

20. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya i remember a lon bit ago whistler had a pic posted of a tip that was just about sawed in two. that is what takes most of the friction.