Will Lake Marion Recover by May

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catman823, Jan 28, 2008.

1. catman823

catman823 New Member

State:
    pa
    I was looking for opinions on whether lake Marion will return to normal levels by May. I make the trip down from PA to Santee State Park the first week of May. I have heard that the lake is down 5 feet or so and that you couldn't even launch a boat at the state park. What are the chances that the levels will rise enough for me to make the trip?

Thanks for any advice or opinions.

Chris

2. IndianCoach

IndianCoach New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Barring an early season tropical system of some sort I don't see how. I know our house on the Manning side is worthless at this time as a recreation outlet. We have no water at all in the canal and all the toons are on mud. Where it would normally be 4 to 7 feet deep it is now mud and has been for months. Many of our neighbors are looking into moving elsewhere. If you go to the Times and Democrat website Dr. John Rheney had a great article about the lake level and it is great reading. He talks of making this into a positive and cleaning up the lake to make it more hospitable. It is a great time for the powers that be to cut or knock over the stumps and trees that prevent easy boating in the main lake. He also condemns them for their stance on hunting for artifacts and the waste of money having agents patrolling looking for people doing their idea of wrongs. He also talks of the sunken barges that are currently blocking chapel creek and how they have been such a danger for all these years. The most disturbing part is when he says that it is heavily rumored they are going to drop the lake another 7 feet for some sort of repairs. I have heard this too but he seems to always be in the know. It's a good read you guys should check it out. I don't see a way for it to recover for this spring and summer but when it does come back it will probably be great fishing. With all the growth of bush it will hopefully be a success story like the Murray situation. It is disturbing for us as lakehouse people. Our cheapest form of entertainment doesn't look good for this year.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The lake level this AM is 68.03 which at its lowest was 67.2.So it has come up less than a foot with the recent rains and stands about 81/2 ft low.For comparison the "drought" of 2002 lowest level was 70.7 in Oct and by Dec the lake was back to 74.4.Unless it rains a lot MAY is not looking good but again using the 2002 example,once the rains started in late Oct they were enough to get the lake back up to 74.4 in just 2 months.My advice to you is not to worry about the decision until late Mar.We all will have a much better idea by then.We have all heard the rumor about dropping the lake to do repairs but can find nothing to substantiate it so far.Perhaps Santee Cooper is waiting also to see what the rains do.I also suspect the fishing will be great once water comes back but I wonder about the upcoming spawn if the levels remain low.No doubt the fish will spawn regardless of the water level I jsut wonder what effect in will have on this year class of fish.:big_smile:

4. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    All good answers. Another thing that will come into play is when spring arrives, the trees along the rivers to the west and in the swamps surrounding those rivers will start their yearly cycle of sucking up more water. It ain't looking good.

5. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I hope the water level comes back up but I've never seen the lakes so low. I believe it will take a couple of years for the lakes to fully recover but thats just my opinion.

6. Allen42

Allen42 New Member

State:
    South Carolina /Lake Murray

Hi, I live an hour or so away from State Park on Santee BUT I do work in that area, less than 2 weeks ago I had some spare time & took my lunch & went to the state park to eat lunch & be nosey . I will say that there were 3 boats that did launch that day ,one while i was eating Dinner. I talked with the wife of the couple that backed the trailer in for her husband & they were heading out to try Crappie . they had no problem launching & eased down the "canel" that is just in front of state park till they were out of my site, I was also amazed at how much timber & stumps were on dry ground ,really shocked ! I could not even see the main lake, least I do not think I did .... As to your question, that is a huge question that only the lord knows the answer to. I will say that we do get a good bit of rain this time of year & have been getting ALOT more than we had been getting & all lakes are slowing ,ever so slow getting thier water back . I think if I were you, I would make plans to come on down & wait till the last couple weeks to make it final

7. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I seriously doubt the lake will be up by then. I am going down in April and I am not getting my hopes up that it will be any better by then. As far as the lake getting pulled down more, I sure hope they don't do that. We do need a early tropical system to help the lake out.

8. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    Looks like most of South Carolina will receive a 1.5 to 2 inch rain thursday night and friday... That should help!!!

9. IndianCoach

IndianCoach New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Some bigwig from Santee Cooper wrote an article in the paper that said the rumor of lowering the lake more is totally false and they are doing everything possible to sustain current levels. He said they have worked with the Corps to discharge less than what is required of them by federal law and the corps has been very accomodating to them. One fifth the water is coming in from the rivers that would normally be at this time of year. The man was very sympathetic but was adamant they were doing all they could. Once again -no work on the dam and there are no plans for it. Just a rumor put to rest finally. NOW RAIN!