Will Flattys eat Little Channel cats??

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by puddle jumper, Jan 20, 2009.

1. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    The river I fish is loaded with little channel cats 10-12" and you can catch a ton of them on a UL , Can I use them for bait, live or cut for flatheads???:confused2:
    Thanks guys
    Puddle

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Always heard if ya cut the horns off a polly wog( bull head) that they were killer flathead bait. I doubt they are very picky or species specific. If they can get that big mouth around it, it's prolly their next meal.If you can legally use them, why not give it a shot. Anything is worth trying, once anyway.

3. jms43

jms43 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would assume so. I saw a big blue last year eat a 2-3 lb channel that we had released. When we put him back in the water he was kinda dazed and swimming on his side in circles. After about 5 minutes this huge blue stuck its head straight out of the water and swallowed the channel...I absolutely couldn't believe it.

4. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    John, there was just a thread on this topic but I can't find it at the moment.
    Anyway, I have used small channels before with little success compared to bullheads. Other members have had more success.

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It was in the Ohio forum. Flatheads will eat channel cats. Years ago, before I was smart enough to carry a camera, I used to bring an occassional big flathead home, and put him in the bait tank in the garage over night so I could get pictures in the morning when it was daylight before taking him back to let go. Different times, I would go in the garage to see small channels cat, and a mess of dead crayfish floating dead in the tank. I learned, that by placing the fish in a confined unnatural enviroment, it stressed the fish causing it to throw up often. I have since used channels for bait, but likesaid.. have done alot better on bullheads than channels. I don't use channels that often though. I know they really like them big lively bullheads, and often wonder if I used channels more how the ratio may even out or not? But, to answer the question, no doubt! They will eat channel cats! Here's another interesting tidbit, that stands behind my thinkings "if its lively, they will eat it." LoL.. Below is a picture of a small flathead I kept from the Ohio River this spring. It looked like it was going to explode! When I cut it open, a 30 inch water snake fell out of its stomach, on top of my boot! :crazy: Yeah, it was dead, but made me dance alittle!! So there you have it. rollo

Attached Files:

6. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Well now I will never eat another flathead.

7. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Well thay always say the bigger the bait the bigger the fish. :wink:

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am gonna give fresh cut channel cat a try this year.

The spots I fish have alot of flatheads, but few channels..I think the flats may be keeping the population of channel cats down.

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I would rather use a bullhead than channel cat.

But yes, flatheads will eat channel cats. That's evident in the Schuylkill River when 10 years ago you could actually go out and catch channel cats. Now that the flatheads have established themselves and dominated the river the small channel cats are far and between. If you do catch a channel cat in the non-tidal Skuke, it's 5lbs and above.

10. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    allmost everytime time out I will bring a mess home I usualey pick the largest one and do a scan of whats in that belly....You then will have a idea of prefered diet....they eat everything! & I know this to be cause I check them what ever the water holds they can scarf up...they can stuff it they will..Definatly channels and my bet is if you have a abundant # of them in yer area they will be good bait cause the best bait is always the natural food source of the waters yer fishin. Rollo fer example in ohio can use them and has ...and it worked-we cant here but channels are a domminate species here & I bet they'd be good here also but thats why we have that one on the books -If ya can use em I would give it a shot myself.Shoot ya might get a lunk ya wasn't spectin (LOL)....I think it will depend on the area ya live/fish if ya dont try you'll never know! just my 00.02 C.:cool2:

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am more amazed of how many times they will puke up the crawfish, I think the flatheads on my river primarily feed on crayfish from as many times as I have seen this over the years. Pretty simple to figure out then where you may wanna go to fish!:wink: rollo

12. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Thanks for the input guys, seems like I will have to give it a try and see how I do ,,I will let you know...
    Puddle:wink:

13. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    flatheads will eat anything alive that will not eat them