Will channel catfish eat small live bluegill

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Montgomery, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    just wondering if channels will bite on a LIVE bluegill. small 2 incher maybe . almost to small to cut up. or is it primarily flatthead bait. and how recomended is it for cut bait

2. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    I have caught channels on blue gill or perch 3 and 4 inche bait as small as a pound. I perfer to use live it takes a lil longer to get bites sometimes but i will catch bigger fish on live bait. Hope this helps.

3. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    YES they will...

ive cought channels when flathead fishing..for smaler channels stink bait is better... but for bigger channels cut bait would proally be a better choice... but flatties and channels will hit gills....

ive cought a big channel on a 4+ inch gill

Good Luck

Jeff

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Yup, but this time of year when water is still cool it is best to use cut bait in my opinion. They are not as active yet.

5. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I usally don't use little gills often. When i do use them i like to step on them and the channels cant resist.

6. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Yes they will, channels will eat most anything. I have caught channels on: Crickets while bream fishing, Spinner baits while bass fishing, Crank baits while bass fishing, plastic whatever while bass fishing, Hotdogs chunks, cut bait, shrimp, bubble gum, Bacon, most types of grub or worm, Soap (Ivory and others), Doughballs, Catfish Charlie, crawfish (live, dead and leftovers), liver (chicken, beef, pork), chicken gizzards/hearts, mullet gut, corn, even a bare hook, and livebait. Take you pick..........Shrimp and garlic soaked shrimp, chicken liver, beef liver, for me are the most productive.

7. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I usually pick up a nice channel(11-18lbs) or two a season while using 7-10in bullheads for flatties.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ya Channels, will eat small live gills

9. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    never catch channels on bluegills, I have caught many flatties on live gills.

10. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Have caught many on small bluegill after the gills decimated my hotdogs in park ponds around here. Can't beat them...join them.:smile2:

11. I have to chime in here. Small bluegills are by far the best bait I have found for limb lining, trotlining or just floating under a bobber. I particularly like them in early summer.

12. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I caught a 5 pound channel last year than had 3 bluegills in its belly all aroung 5-6 inches.

13. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    Shoot Ya They Will Eat Live Gills Just Look At My Avatar Pic. She Was Caught On About a 6in Blue Gill From A Farm Pound.........

14. The_Mad_Catter

The_Mad_Catter New Member

State:
    Erie, Colorado
    I don't know how Channels behave out there but here in Co. they love gills of all sizes. I caught a 24 Lb. last year on a 9" shell cracker

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Mike the number one place I like for catching channels on gills are ponds or lakes with weeds around the edge. Just cast a 3 to 5 inch gill hooked in the back/tail out to the weed edge and maybe one to the inside weed edge if there is a ft of water there. Also cast into any empty pockets in the weeds. You will catch the largest channels in the pond/lake this way. The cats prowl the weeds loking for all the gills hiding in there. But you will have to fish at dusk, thru the nite, or before dawn. And you can't have lanterns, fires, music, loud talking, or stomping around on the bank. These big fish are wary of human lights and noises that close to the bank. They know what its like when the lake is empty of people and thats when they feed the best. If you must have a fire and talking, take one of your rods 40 yds away cast it out and walk the line back to where you can hear the clicker and see if it gets hit. I'll bet it will, good luck.

16. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a27: 110% with Skip,

You take a "Credit Card size Bluegill" it those areas & "BLAM"!
    LoL:happy:
    It's no telling what you would come out of there with :eek:oooh:

Take it easy'
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

17. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    All the bigger channels that I've caught (10-16lbers) have been on small bluegills. Usually 3-4" bluegills work the best, but I have had them take the 6-7", fat bluegills that I use for flatheads.

18. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Yes, they like cut or live gills.

19. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    they will eat goldfish like a champ to. if you are going to use goldfish though, check your local game and fish regs first. i know that ou here the only place that goldfish are allowed is in my area (i am so lucky). you will also pick up flatties, stripers, largemouth and smallmouth. if a bass wants to eat my bait while i am catfishing i am not going to complain one bit.

20. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Lets just say that if you believe in reincarnation, don't come back as a bluegill. Everything would eat you. LOL