Will braid wear out the levelwind guide?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by SouthGADan, Oct 11, 2009.

1. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    I know braid can wear out some line guides on rods, but can it wear out the levelwind guide on the reel? It seems that there would be a lot of friction there as well.

2. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    this is great question

3. ~Austin~

~Austin~ New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've used braid for a few years and I've never noticed any wear there. I guess it's possible, but I've never seen it.

4. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Never seen it either but I am sure it can. The cheaper the reel the better the chance of wear. On most reels this part can be replaced very cheap so I wouldn't worry I would just check it from time to time. If it does you will know.

5. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    I use Siderwire Stealth 80lb.and I have never had a problem with level winds or eyes wearing out!:smile2:

6. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    There should be VERY little friction on the line through the levelwind, so I would say no.

7. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    That's what I'm thinking too, Steve; I don't think I'll ever have to worry about it. I looked at the line coming on and off the spool, and it hardly touches. Also, when the rod is loaded, I don't think there will be a whole lot more friction on it, like there would be with the eyes. And finally, the guide on my C3 is supposed to be Titanium Nitride coated, which helps prevent any type of abrasion. I think we can put this one to bed now; thanks for the input guys.

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Seems like all the 1/2 way decent reels are putting some kind of coating on the levelwind to combat wear from braid.I got older 6500.s that have never been fished with anything but braid for the last 20 years and they show no sign of wear at all.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    My brother n law had a cheeper baitcaster back in the day that he put old school spiderwire on. that stuff when it first came out would eat through anything. :crazy: including the levelwind on his new baitcaster quickly. I think the newer braids are designed better.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont think it will ware out the level wind, but I have had is destroy the tip guides on my rods in a few uses.