Will be checking out a Hot water dicharge Tomm

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by whiteriverbigcats, Feb 7, 2009.

1. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have been saying for a few weeks now that I was going to check out the Hot Water Discharge At the IPL Coal Plant just north of Martinsville.. I will be doing so tomm.. This warm weather I hope has produced something worth testing out... I just cant take it anymore... And I think its worth a shot.. Be nice to find some shad around there too... Seems to be the #1 sorce of food in cold months

2. Harleycat

Harleycat Member

State:
    INDIANA
    let me know what you find out i might come up

3. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    good look shane! keep us posted on results

4. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Ah man, jealous already. Let us know what you come upon.

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    go getum brother! don't forget the camera, i would like to see water that's not frozen. lol

6. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    WOW!!!! I saw two groups of atleast 100 or more shad.. There was a guy down there and he was catching 10 - 15 pound stripers useing a huge white jig.. And this is word of mouth... But he said his Uncle caught a few cats lastnight but he didnt know what they were.. So I will be fishing this tomm... WOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! IM GOING FISHING!!!!

7. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    awwww man... I didnt even think of taking the camera... I will tomm for sure!!!!

8. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the update. I'm going to try to get on the water sometime soon.

9. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    Thanks for not inviting anyone.:sad2:

10. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    I didnt fish it.. Was just scouting it.. I have never tried to fish it in the winter.. But Im heading that way here in about 30 mins.. Anyone wanting to hit the water with me feel free to come on down.. I will be in a green Ford Taurus. Its located inbetween Mooresville and Martinsville on highway 67

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    lol @ dave

12. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN

i'm sitting here on the edge of my seat waiting for a report....

13. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah not even an invite for the brother in law thanks

14. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Alright, Shane...we're all itching to know...how was it. If you caught something you'll be a shoo-in for the weekly bragging rights tourney!

15. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Out of curiosity, (and because if cabin fever gets much worse I may go check it out myself), how are you accessing the discharge? It looks like on the map that you have to drive through the front gate if you fish it from the bank. Or are you going in by boat?

16. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    Is there any chance that a couple of us can getogether to go shading on some Sat? Oh by the way Shane, send me a pm with good directions & information on this "HOT SPOT" of yours.:wink:

17. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    Don't feel bad, mine don't ask to go fishing either. Maybe we can go fishing & let the wives shop.:cool2:

18. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    Well it started off looking good.. Everything looked perfectly in order... River was up and the water was muddy, but that only made me have better hopes.. A few guys were leaving as I was approching and I asked if they did any good.. They claimed to have got a small bite on some chicken liver..

Well as I began to start setting up, I heard splashing out in the white water...
    Looked and saw nothing.. Turned around and there it went again.. I stopped what I was doing and set in the chair till I saw something. Nothing!!!! Oh wait, I saw some bait fish.. Oh some more over there.. I began to notice bait fish jumping everywhere.. I thought WOOOOOO WHOOOOOOO!!

I got all set up and nothing!! I just kept waiting and waiting.. There it was again.. Big SPLASH out in the white water.. I reeled in the smallest rod I had with me. ( Abu Garcia 6000C3 on a MH Quantum BigCat Rod (2nd Gen. ) and Looked thru my tackel and realized I really didnt have much Lures with me.. But there at the bottom of My tackle box was a very shiney Silver rattle trap that looked like a small 4in shad.. The weight was well off so I reversed a 1oz no-roll on the line ( carolina rig ) and then tied on the lure.. I casted about 4 times and out of no where SLAM!!!!!! My drag was flying and the pole was bent.. I had 30# Ironsilk line on it and thought for sure it was gonna break instantly.. Then this striper jumps up and just throws a fit.. Looked slow motion.. I start getting him toward the bank little by little. Hell he's done made about 6 or 7 laps by now and didnt even act tired.. Well I managed to get him withen 4 feet of the bank and was trying to hold the pole up to grab him and the dang metel ring of my broke right out of that lure from the weight.. I was p*&%@d but also excited to be on the water again.. I only fished that Dam a couple of times last year and its been awhile since I caught a nice striper from there.. If I had to guess it was about 15-20# range. Biggest one Ive seen come from there was 23#. But its a fun start to my year.. I might go back tomm rain or shine!!!!

Attached Files:

19. Harleycat

Harleycat Member

State:
    INDIANA
    thanks for the pics shane im gonna come up there soon:wink:

20. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    you need too.. Im going to go to Dicks and try to find some good Striper lures since I cant get to the cats just yet...