will amb 6500 handle 30 pd test ok?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by dcm, Jul 20, 2009.

1. dcm

dcm New Member

State:
    ky
    I had my 7000 pulled over board so I am using my 6500s. do you think 30 pd is too big for these?
    Thanks

2. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    No, You could even use 40lb PLine Flouroclear with ease.

Welcome to the Boc, Darrel.:wink:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    it will work fine i am runing 65lb on my 6000

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I use 30# Mono on most of my 6500's-and a few 7000's..

5. outdoors1988

outdoors1988 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have a 6600 and i have 65 lb power pro braided and it handles it fine

6. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Darrel, tough way to lose a reel. You lose some capacity, but they'll handle it with no problem. Stay safe and enjoy the fishing!!!

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

It,ll handle the 30 just fine.Welcome to the BOC darrel!:0a25:.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Yep, I'll add my seconds to all these comments. My head scratching question is what in the world makes everyone think they need over 20 pound test line. I know some get into big fish, but I also know big fish can be handled on light line. Is it just a macho thing?

9. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Aint got nothing to do with macho for me.I fish around a lot of old rusted out steel barges and such.I use a heavy action boat rod,and need line heavy enough to put enough pressure on him in the first couple seconds to turn him towards me.If they can get 1 or 2 feet on me,I,m gonna get cut off no matter what I,m using.And yes,I can put enough pressure on them to pop 30# easily.I use it because it works for me.:wink:

10. 1 4 Fishing

1 4 Fishing New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    no i think you could put 50 on it

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

To answer the question I use 30# & 40# on my 6500's and have no problems at all.
    I agree with Pat, I fish a lot of log jams and such and have to horse them out before they snag me up. If I only fished open water I'd use 17-20# test but the places I fish you need heavier line. I've not been broken off by a fish since using 40# mono...Yet...:roll_eyes::wink::smile2:

12. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Even when we get snagged, we want to be able to pull in the snag so we don't have to rig back up :eek:oooh:
    We are also being perpaired should we hook into a future episode of RIVER MONSTERS!:smile2:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  13. dcm

dcm New Member

State:
    ky
    Thanks for the info and also for the warm welcome. I am very excited about being on the forum and look forward to all of the catfish talk.
    Thanks again and best wishes to you all.

14. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    And to all who replied stating they use 30, or 40 or 50 or even higher pound test line, how many has caught a fish larger than the pound test of line you were using. Not many people get into big fish, so if your using that heavy of line to catch 20 or 30 pound fish, your over compensating. Now if your catching 60 or 70 pound fish, then I'd say you were right on... but I just can't believe everyone is catching the big fish.

15. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i use 40 lb on my 7000. don't have a 6500. awshucks, don't know what you fish around, i fish the colorado river. snags, strong currents. a 20 lbr will pull like a 40 and when it surges, stronger. then add the snags it goes for, got to stop the runs. in lakes, yea, 20lb is plenty though.
    gary

16. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    You are correct, in that people may not need the high poundage lines, but in reality what difference does it make. I go under the feeling that's it's better to have something and not need it than to need it a not have it.
    With the briaded lines, you do not suffer the increased diameter, you can forget about line memory, and the strength is unsurpassed. Granted braid does fray but then everything has the pro and con side to it. My catfishing rods all have 65# test one them except for one and that's only because it was on when I got the reel. I may never ever catch a 50-60# fish but I can be reasonably sure that my line is going work well for me.

17. SW Hunter

SW Hunter New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use 30# on my 6500 and 6000's and they handle it fine and cast just fine with it. They handle Power Pro real well. Hope this helps.

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you're fishing where you don't have to contend with snags, logs, and other junk, and you're able to chase the fish in a boat down a heavy current, you can certainly get by with light line. But I've seen guys on shore get spooled when using a huge Penn 309 loaded with 50# mono. I've fished with 4# test line, and I've fished with 100# test line; I never had a fish break the 4#, but I did have one break the 100#. You gotta match your line and tackle with the situation. Here's an interesting test for anyone fishing, or even planning to fish below a dam or powerhouse. Find a piece of limb about as big around as your upper arm and cut a section that weighs about 10#. Tie it to your line and toss it out into the current. Now reel it in, just like you would a fish. This will give you a fair idea of how much pull the current adds to the pull of a 10# fish.
    As far as the 6500 goes, the older ones had a really crappy drag system; designed for use with 14# test line, that's about all the drag that they provided. Mine wouldn't tighten down enough to let me pull in a 10# blue when we were anchored below a powerhouse. I've heard that aftermarket drag systems are much better, and also heard that the newer reels have corrected the problem; I can't offer any first hand info about that, though. Of course, you can always add drag with your thumb.

19. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have 40big game on one and it cast fine. I prefer 65 power pro but the big game 40 does fine too.

20. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    i run 40 lb on all my reels. i have 6 6500c3's.

and yes i have caught several fish that were 40 lb and over. up to 48 as a matter of fact. i also fish some really nasty water so i want some line that i can turn him fast and not worry about breaking it.